CityEngine 2016.1 Crashes Consistently after Multiple Selections

11-16-2016 11:01 AM
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, 

I have been working with an older Scene in CityEngine, and it is not very complex. It consists of multiple cross sections with no context. The crashes occur about 5-10 minutes into working with the scene almost after a selection is made (not necessarily a large one). In addition weird GUI bugs manifest themselves in the inspector. 
Things I have tried: 

• CityEngine 2016.1 Repair Installation
  • Moving Folder/Project Back off of shared drive
  • Deleting .CityEngine folder in user folder
  • Resaving the Scene Multiple times
  • Checking for Graphics Card Updates and Settings for CityEngine

Let me know if you have any suggestions based on the attached log file and list above. 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MicahTaylor

This could possibly have something to do with the scene version.  I ran into loading and crashing issues with older 2.0 version scenes.  What version scene are you using?

DavidWasserman

I also tried resetting the scene version/altering the file. It was 2015.2 believe. I am not sure if I opened it with 2016 (not 2016.1) at some point...I don't think I did. What would you suggest trying if this is the issue? 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

I figured I would report back.  

At some point I changed all the seeds of the streets in the scene after another reboot and I experienced no crashing behavior. I also deleted some of the older unused scenes in the project folder. For some reason or another I am not experiencing the same behavior in a 3 hour run of rule/scene edits. I am not sure if deleting some of the project meta data before helped (unused materials in the bin/rules/etc), but I did not have to delete the meta data/prt folder in the workspace. It seems like it was never an issue...

David Wasserman, AICP
deleted-user-Q-Ku9J1BlYDK
New Contributor II

As I did more work with CityEngine, I realized there might be a relationship between the number of selections you make in 2016.1 and crashing. If you need to do any shape selections be sure to save your scenes after each major change. 

This is another follow up, as I found this is not related to 2015.2 scenes. 

MicahTaylor

10-4

0 Kudos