City Engine Terrain and Texture File Issue

12-12-2014 10:47 AM
SarahBowsher
New Contributor II

I am currently testing out City Engine and have ran across several problems.

The guide and help documentation is not very thorough so most of my issues have been solved through trail and error.

Currently I am trying to import the terrain (Heightmap file) and texture files using a .tif. This is an acceptable file, but it will not load (I don't even receive an error message). However when I load both the terrain and texture files as a .jpg for a different location, it works.

The examples in the help menu have a .tif as the heightmap file and a .jpg as the texture file, but I'm confused on what is an acceptable format.

Has anyone run across this issue? I realize this is a relatively new product...

Does the texture file need to be a .jpg? Do I need to have the terrain file as one format and the texture file in another format?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RebeccaRichman
Esri Contributor

How big is the texture file? City Engine cannot work with very big raster files such as high resolution aerials and will not display if the raster is too big. If your image is big, converting it to a jpg may be working because jgp has a lower resolution.

There is a good post about that here: textures / raster files : concepts in CityEngine / ArcGIS

0 Kudos
SarahBowsher
New Contributor II

Great thanks! This post helps a lot and may have been the issue.

0 Kudos