City Engine Projects/ differences between MAC and PC

02-25-2013 10:57 AM
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
Hi Matthias,

I am working on my projects (on PC)and everything seems to work well, unless I work on MAC, I am having troubles to export my project into web scene. Another problem is, when I work on a project (3D terrain+ buildings on MAC) everything runs smooth, but when I try to create new project and use the same map files (height maps) suddenly City Engine starts to be very slow.
Are there any adjustments? that I can just change on MAC? the project runs well on PC

Sincerely,

Lukasz
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Heya.

What mac model are you running ?

I've seen some issues on the new RETINA macbooks ..

Lemme know.

matt
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 16Gb of Ram (DDR3L), 256Gb SSD.
2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
Configurable to 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache or 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz) with 8MB shared L3 cache.
�?� Intel HD Graphics 4000
�?� NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors
Thunderbolt digital video output
�?� Native Mini DisplayPort output
�?� DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
�?� VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
�?� Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
should I switch to lower resolution?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

I wonder why they don't write 'sold separately' also for the 2 external displays.

Yes, please try using a lower resolution and let me know if this makes it better. An other input is to show / hide the map layers (terrains) via the F9 toggle.

Please let me know. We need some more inputs on this issue anyway.

Thanks !

Matt
0 Kudos
AlexanderStepanov
New Contributor II
My friend is also using City Engine, and everything seems to work well, unless he drag and drop the RULE file, than CE crashes

Laptop Spec:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Is there anything he can change in settings to make it work?

Thanks!!

Lukasz
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
My friend is also using City Engine, and everything seems to work well, unless he drag and drop the RULE file, than CE crashes

Laptop Spec:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Is there anything he can change in settings to make it work?

Thanks!!

Lukasz

pc ? mac ?

let me know ..
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
Sorry, Its PC
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

We've seen that there's actually a bug in the ATI drivers which cause CE to crash, related to the combination of texture compression and mipmapping and some very special texture resolutions. very weird.

try :
in the grammar core prefs, deactivate EITHER mipmapping OR texture compression. Though we strongly suggest to deactivate mipmapping since this as much less drawbacks.

An other option which may cause such crashes is that your monitor bit depth is not set to 32 bit. Check this.

Let me know if those things help.

Check also, if somewhere on the machine you find a file called "*hs_err*.log" which was created at crash time. just search all for "hs_err"

matt
0 Kudos