CGA rules for rectanglar shape creation in CityEngine

Jump to solution
01-19-2015 12:08 AM
SebahatT_K
New Contributor II

Hi, I want to make 3d building by using CGA Rules in CityEngine. I had wroten this rule "attr heigth=0 lot--> extrude (heigth)" and it works but I want to use Rectanglar Shape Creation tool. Is there any the rule for Rectangle Shape Creation? Does anybody help me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

Just tried exporting to gdb and my extruded buildings look ok in ArcScene.  I wonder if you have a bad setting in ArcScene.  Have you checked the settings in the 'Base Heights' tab in the layer properties?  If you haven't, try increasing the value in the 'Factor to convert layer elevation values......' setting.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BenLeslie1

If you import point shapefiles they are drawn in CE as 1m squares, you could then use the s() operation and the rotate() operation to proceedurally draw the rectangles you want.

There may be other ways............

0 Kudos
KishorGhatage
0 Kudos
SebahatT_K
New Contributor II

Thank you Ben Leslie. I have a lot of building footprints as polygon shapefile. I want to make 3d these building footprints from its attribuite. But I dont choose extruded operation, I automaticaly need to do the Rectangal Shape Creation operation.

And Thank you Kirshor Ghatage. Maybe it was solve my problem by Mass Modelling. I am going to search it.

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

Ok.  I don't think I understand - why not use extrude?

0 Kudos
ChristinaRöhr
Esri Contributor

Hi,

you could try the innerRect shape Operation.

It creates rectangles inside a lot.

Lot-->

innerRect

color("#ff0000")

set(material.color.a, 0.3)

extrude(20)

Please see CE-help Help -

Regards

Christina

SebahatT_K
New Contributor II

when I export the extruded building as multipatch my building seem 2d dimansion in ArcScene but they are multipatch objects. And sometimes my building get lost. Besides if a polygon has 4 vertice when I use Rectangelar Shape Creation it have been 8 vertices so its geometry is chancing. But I use extruded it has 4 vertices again.

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

Just tried exporting to gdb and my extruded buildings look ok in ArcScene.  I wonder if you have a bad setting in ArcScene.  Have you checked the settings in the 'Base Heights' tab in the layer properties?  If you haven't, try increasing the value in the 'Factor to convert layer elevation values......' setting.

SebahatT_K
New Contributor II

Thank you Ben Leslie I use extruded building to gdb and 3d buildings look ok in ArcScene. It's usefull for me, I still wonder why there are different between Rectanglar Shape Creation and extruded. I will search it.

Thanks to all

0 Kudos
ChristinaRöhr
Esri Contributor

Did you try to export extruded building footprints from ArcScene as multipatches by using tool "Layer 3D to Feature class"?

There is a known issue with Background geoprocessing.

NIM102064: Exporting extruded polygons to multipatch with the 'Layer 3D to Feature Class' geoprocessing tool does not preserve extrusion if 64-bit background geoprocessing is enabled.

You could disable the Background geoprocessing under menu Geoprocessing > geoprocessing Options > uncheck the "Enable" check box for Background Geoprocessing.

0 Kudos