CE trial OS version requirement

08-09-2016 09:32 PM
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III

How strict is the requirement that Windows 10 be the Professional or Enterprise versions? We will be implementing CE at work soon but I'd like to download the trial at home and play around with it a bit but my laptop, which is otherwise more than capable of running CE, only has Win 10 Home.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

64 bit seems to be the minimum CityEngine installation requirements—CityEngine | ArcGIS for Desktop

I wonder why Home isn't mention specifically.

Even the SDK for city engine basically says 64 bit Windows 7 minimum with no mention

GitHub - Esri/esri-cityengine-sdk: Develop 3D applications using the procedural geometry engine of E...

It won't install if the minimum isn't met in any event

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

Thanks, Dan. Those were my thoughts, too. I've previously built my own machines at home, mainly to support my photography "habit" and have always run the Pro version of Windows. But I recently decided to buy a desktop-replacement-class laptop instead of building another desktop machine. And of course it came with Home installed. I've been toying with upgrading it to Pro but I wouldn't do that solely to run a trial of CE just to play around with it on my own time. The laptop is recent enough that I haven't yet determined if I actually NEED Pro or if I can get by with keeping Home. The big difference is that it is connected more often wirelessly rather than via ethernet so I've been rethinking my home networking strategy.

I'm still hoping someone will reply with "I installed it on my Win 10 Home machine and it works fine." Or reply with "...and it didn't work."

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian,

CityEngine is positioned as a professional tool. Users generally run it on PCs with Windows Pro or Enterprise. Development and certification focuses on this use case.

This does not mean that CityEngine won't install or run on the Home version. Just keep in mind, that if there is a problem that affects only Windows Home, the suggested solution would be changing to Windows Pro or Enterprise.

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

Understood, Thomas, and that is exactly what I would expect. I'm still holding out hope that someone has tried it and can confirm either way.

We've purchased one license and it is on another staff's machine (though I am primary support for getting everything running) for a variety of reasons. I expect an additional license next year, but I've been able to jump on that machine to get familiar with CE. We run Windows Pro at work, of course.

My only reason for asking about Windows Home and CE is because I have a GIS "problem" and can't always leave my work at work. I just want to play around with CE a bit on my own time despite having an "outside of work life" simply because it looks fun.

0 Kudos