block with one building

02-12-2016 03:31 AM
PmssS
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

the goal in the end is to replicate the lot in several areas to estimate the number of accommodation buildings and consequently the number of people that can stay in this places.

I have several measures for the typical block, such as: the road width, the parking between the road and the front of building, the building width and length, and the distance between the lot limit and building in both sides and back.

The examples that I have seen divide the block in parcels in a random way. I prefer with those measures, is it possible?

and if so could I run some report that projects the number of people that could stay if those buildings are built?

I start to write this rule file.... but I am novice, and maybe this is not the path for what I want... any suggestion is welcome.

cheers

P

@Start Rule

Block-->

Outer

Building

Outer-->

extrude(0)

comp(f) {front : Bld_front | back : Bld_back | left : Bld_sides | right : Bld_sides | top : roof}

Sides-->

Offset (-6.5)

Bld_front-->

Offset (-11.6)

Bld_back

offset (-4.3)

Building

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

To turn off the automatic block partitioning, select the block, and in the Inspector under Shape Parameters -> Block Parameters, set type to "No Subdivision".  Now, you can write a rule for custom partitioning of the block.

You could use setback() to create a building with a parking lot in front of it and space on the sides or back of the parcel.  See the section called "Adapt the parcel with setbacks" in this tutorial:

Tutorial 8: Mass modeling—CityEngine Tutorials | ArcGIS for Desktop

Note that if you only have one building on a full block (where the block is surrounded by streets), all sides will qualify as "street.front".  In this case, you'll probably want to use a different selector such as "front".  See the help page for setback() for more details on what selectors are available:

setback Operation

0 Kudos
PmssS
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell me if after building it I can use the report?

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, reports would be great for this task!  Check out this tutorial for how to use reports:

Tutorial 11: Reporting—CityEngine Tutorials | ArcGIS for Desktop

And, dashboards would be a great way to visualize your reports:

Dashboards

0 Kudos
PmssS
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am working on the use of the setback. but it seems impossible to define different distances for the four sides of a Lot.

what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
PmssS
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been trying for a while with the resources available in CE help.

I got to a point that there is no error on the rule file... but nothing happen.

in copy i put my rule (notepad) it seems I can't copy the rule file here without strange behavior of the text box.

####Attributes###
attr height = 
rand(20, 50)

attr distanceStreet = 0

####Start###
Lot --> Parcel

Parcel --> 
    setback(distanceStreet)
        { street.front: Parking | street.back : Backside | street.right : Rightside | street.left : Leftside | remainder: Footprint }

Footprint --> extrude(height)

Parking --> 
       offset (8)
Backside -->
       offset (3.9)
Rightside-->
       offset (5)
Leftside-->
       Offset (4.46)

any suggestion would be great!

Pedro

0 Kudos