Base map resolution

08-06-2013 06:23 AM
MattO_Keeffe1
New Contributor
When exporting a scene from city engine to *.3ws the resolution of my png base map is reduced to the point that it's unusable.

Firstly, is there a way that I can switch off whatever it is that is automatically reducing the resolution?  I understand the need to keep the file size of the *.3ws files low in order that they will run on lower calibre machines but these web scenes are intended for internal use and I'm confident that our devices can cope with the higher resolution of base map.

Secondly, if it's not possible to override the reduction of the image quality, is there 'best practice' for adding in base maps to a web scene that will give me what I need?

Many thanks,

Matt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi

In the webscene when you export the data you have an option where you can change the Texture Quality. It's automatically set to Compact but there are lots of options including Original, so have a play around with me.
0 Kudos
MattO_Keeffe1
New Contributor
Thank you,

This has worked but I'm now experiencing issues with exporting the City Engine data to a 3D web scene.  Presumably this is because the resolution of the raster is too high?  Is there a published limit to the amount of data/rasters you can include in a 3ws file?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

once the stuff is in CE, there's no limitation to go to a WebScene.

1] make sure your images are not downscaled during export ( check the 2nd WebScene export dialog precisely )
2] WebScenes are displayed with no double sided rendering. Means backsides are not rendered for efficiency. Could this be the issue ?

Let me know.

m.
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
"once the stuff is in CE, there's no limitation to go to a WebScene."

Hi Matthias!

I have a question, you said that "once the stuff is in CE, there's no limitation to go to a WebScene." I loaded a big map (40Mb) with great quality, looks really great, when I export it to Web Scene it crashes the web browser, why is that? I have almost 40Gb RAM on my machine

Lukas
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Of course, some browsers suck .. 😉
[or have limitations. I meant what you can see in CE, you can export to .3ws. If the browser can display it is a different topic.]

If you track this down, is it sure the satellite pic crashes the driver ?

- try exporting the WebScene without that map, does it work then ?
- try exporting only the element with that image (terrain I guess), does it work then ?
- if you downscale the image in the WebScene exporter ( 2nd exporter dialog: texture quality settings ), does it work then ?
- could it be the browser crashes because of the number of polygons of the terrain and not that image ?
- what browser are you using ?
- did you update to the newest WebScene 2.3.1. ? [http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=38fede3935a440e49cf316dcae6aae47]

lemme know ..

matt
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
When exporting a scene from city engine to *.3ws the resolution of my png base map is reduced to the point that it's unusable.

Firstly, is there a way that I can switch off whatever it is that is automatically reducing the resolution?  I understand the need to keep the file size of the *.3ws files low in order that they will run on lower calibre machines but these web scenes are intended for internal use and I'm confident that our devices can cope with the higher resolution of base map.

Secondly, if it's not possible to override the reduction of the image quality, is there 'best practice' for adding in base maps to a web scene that will give me what I need?

Many thanks,

Matt

This might help :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28513[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28512[/ATTACH]

To prepare a map like that (High Resolution) there is a way to do that in ArcMaps I guess?
If not, you can go to google zoom in at the map as much as you can, take a print screen --> go to (Paint basic picture editor program)select clean image without web browser and everything else, just a picture, then paste it into Photoshop , congrats!! you have one "Tile" out of 50? overlap the layers , select all of them click Merge Layers, and you will have HR Base Map

Hope that will help

And one more thing, when you export to WebScene select "Original" and keep it in mind it will take a lot of memory

Lukasz
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
yes, arcmap has such tools. it delivers also the 'basemaps', which are quite acceptable quality for free (whole planet !).

notice the 'Constrain Proportions' option. Making the resolution bigger while maintaining the same DPI value just unnecessarily increases the file size, but not the quality of the image. the other approach is tiling many images together, that's correct.

m.
0 Kudos