Angled building extrusion

09-03-2014 06:03 AM
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I’m trying to create a rule, where I can change the angle for different floors. My first issue, was actually right in the beginning, how to extrude at a building angled, with the bottom still aligned to the terrain.

Matt I saw a video with you explaining the concepts of scope (I think it was) and I think that would get me at step further. I did found the thread once again, but the video link does not work anymore. What I was trying to was to use the envelope function, but I can’t get that to create a negative angle. So if the front angle was 45 degrees , the back angle should be the same, just in a negative direction.

I’m attaching an image of what I’m trying to achieve.

By the way, I need to be rulebased, not shapemodeled, for many reasons

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You might try roofShed commands after rotation of scope, or for more control of multiple anglular cuts, you might try using a vertical extrusion, and then rotation of scope to match your angles and then use split to slice off the pieces at angles. Let me know if this makes sense. I'll bet Matthias can make a demo right off his cuff.

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Hi ..

this sort of building is very tricky to do in CityEngine.. but as Chris mentioned, try the roof operations or even better envelope() since it has greater control.

coding such geometries differently be tricky .. do you have more examples of what you need to reach ?

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

Garsdale Design Ltd.

CityEngine Services | Consulting

http://www.garsdaledesign.co.uk/

0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to use the envelope? When I tried I could only angel it to the center of the building, and not away from the center.

I basically would like to go nuts with the angles.

Control the angles by attr like: “ different angel for each floor to the sides, but also to the back, controle the split(x) angel.

Matt where are your great video with understanding the scope, A’m I remembering wrong, or are you not creating something like that?

Thanks to your both, would defiantly try this out, as soon as I figure out to angel away from the center

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Here is an example of manipulating the scope to make angled cuts:

version "2014.0"

attr storyHeight = 5

@Range(0,60)

attr angle = 30

@Hidden

attr originalScopeZ = 0

BuildingFootprint -->

set(originalScopeZ, scope.sz)

extrude(storyHeight)

rotateScope(angle,0,0)

AngledCut

splitOff = sin(angle) * storyHeight

keep = originalScopeZ * cos(angle)

AngledCut -->

split(z) {

splitOff: A |

keep: B

}

A --> NIL

B --> color(0,1,0) X.

CaptureAngledSlice.JPG

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Below is a diagram showing the calculations based on the rotated scope. This example is slicing off to make a positive angle. The same logic could be reverse to make a negative angle, but you would want to scale the footprint outwards before making a negative angle cut.

scope diagram.JPG

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, I reversed the scope splitting operation to get the negative angle you wanted to make.

CaptureAngledSliceNegative.JPG

CGA Code:

version "2014.0"

attr storyHeight = 5

@Range(0,60)

attr angle = 30

@Hidden

attr originalScopeZ = 0

BuildingFootprint -->

set(originalScopeZ, scope.sz)

extrude(storyHeight)

ScaleOut

addToZ = storyHeight * tan(angle)

newZ = originalScopeZ + addToZ

ScaleOut -->

s('1, '1, newZ)

t(0, 0, -addToZ)

Rotate

Rotate -->

rotateScope(-angle,0,0)

AngledCut

splitOff = sin(angle) * storyHeight

keep = cos(angle) * newZ

AngledCut -->

split(z) {

splitOff: NIL |

keep: color(1,0,0) X.

}

0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Wow, you have been busy. Thank you very much I appreciate this, Will have a look at you rule, and I will defiantly learn a lot by it.