"Hole" in cityengine

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 03:50 AM
AnaGalego
New Contributor
I have with troubles to enter private buildings thoroughfares.
the cityengine not assume that those playgrounds are empty. anyone have a solution?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
32 Replies
NathanStocker
New Contributor III

Hi Matt,

I've got CE 2014.0 now, but the setback issue is still there that we discussed in this post.

Using the parcels and rule from above, it still gets the results that you attached as '2013.1.jpg' rather than the correct '2014.0.jpg', which maintains the holes in both parcels.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
N

0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Thanks Matt - that's fantastic.
I don't suppose you can give any indication of when 2014 will be released?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
sorry, I cannot promise more than 'soon'..

m.
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
I thought that might be the case 🙂
Could you also confirm if the update will also fix the similar problem with innerRect() not taking holes into account?

Thanks
Nate
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Hi Matt,

Just wondering about the issue with innerRect() not working on polygons with holes. Is this likely to be fixed soon, or is there a workaround until it is?

This is quite crucial for what we're wanting to use CityEngine for, which is analysing infill capacity (i.e. whether a house will fit in a back yard). I was hoping to do this by using cadastral parcels with buildings cut out, but my rule requires innerRect to get a normal shaped house.

Thanks
Nathan
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I searched this thread for the innerRect issue .. what do you refer to again with this problem ?

matt
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
Hi Matt,

The problem is effectively the same as for setback operation discussed below and fixed in CE2014.0.

As an example, the attached green image is a simple extruded parcel, which includes a hole. However when innerRect() is applied to the parcel, it fills in the hole (resulting in the red image).

The red image is the result of this code:

Lot -->
extrude(world.y,5)
innerRect()
color(1,0,0)

Ideally, it would not fill in the hole. Instead it would find the largest possible rectangle within the remaining space.

Nathan
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
it works in CE 2014.1 (current version in development here).

seems this issue will be resolved in the next version.

to support holes properly, we had to touch everything in CGA. thus, this was implemented over multiple releases..

hope you understand ..

matt
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm on version 2014.1 and have found that the Subdivide tool doesn't work with holes.

See attached - behaviour is the same using shp or gdb.

Subdivide_with_holes.jpg

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Ha, good catch ..

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

-------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk