"Hole" in cityengine

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 03:50 AM
AnaGalego
New Contributor
I have with troubles to enter private buildings thoroughfares.
the cityengine not assume that those playgrounds are empty. anyone have a solution?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
32 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

I tried in CE2013 and it works just fine ..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33476[/ATTACH]

Let me know ..

m.
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm using CityEngine 2013.1 and holes aren't quite working for me either.

I'm importing parcels with the building footprints cut out. For some parcels it works fine (a 'hole' polygon and a surrounding good polygon), but sometimes it doesn't - it creates a hole polygon but the surrounding polygon doesn't have the hole cut out.

The screenshot attached should help explain. The proper polygons are selected and some have vertices around the hole showing the excluded empty area, but others unfortunately include the empty area.

It tends to be that the inner holes are excluded if they touch a boundary, but not if they are entirely within the larger polygon.

Nate

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hmm.

Interesting ..

Which version of CE are you using ?

Can you post those non-working footprints as e.g. shapeFile or GDB ?

Please let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

I just got some feedback from a developer regarding holes and importing them

( Not 100% all of the above was stated correctly by me)

To clarify: holes are supported with following input formats:
??? CityEngine 2013.1: gdb
??? CityEngine 2014.0: gdb, shp
So if you import footprints with holes into CityEngine 2013.1 we recommend to use the gdb format.
0 Kudos
LeonidKrylov
New Contributor
I've done it, Matthias! By using .gdb. Thank you very much:)
0 Kudos
AleksandarLalovic
New Contributor II
Hi Matt,

Sorry for the late responese. I was trying to import shapefiles in 2013 so that was the issue. I guess i will have to wait for 2014 for that.
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III

Hi Matt,

Using .gdb did the trick, thanks 🙂

On a related note, I'm having trouble with setback operations on the imported parcels (which have holes from the buildings being cut out). As a simplified example, I've attached a screenshot of the following operation:

Lot -->
Testing1 Testing2

Testing1 -->
color(0,1,0)
extrude(6)

Testing2 -->
setback(3){world.east : NIL | remainder : Testing3}

Testing3 -->
color(1,0,0)
extrude(5)

When I do this, many results (Testing3) fill the hole in as part of the remainder. This is shown in the left parcel of the screenshot, where the red portion is a hole in the original parcel and shouldn't be included in the result.

The parcel on the right has the same rule applied but correctly still excludes the hole.

I'm not sure if this is a remaining issue with holes in imported shapes, or just something with the setback operation.
Is there a way to spatially limit a result to the original shape, so that a result doesn't spill over the boundaries?

Thanks
Nathan

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hey !

I believe this should not be.

Can you post this single polygon and the CGA code here, so I can repro here ?

Let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
NathanStocker
New Contributor III
The attached .gdb contains the two parcels from the screenshot - the one which works and the other which doesn't. Looking at them, the obvious difference is that the hole in the one which works extends to the edge of the parcel.

The zip also contains the CGA code, although it's just what I posted previously.

Cheers
N
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
thanks, this was helpful.

my tests:

2013.1 SR:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33861[/ATTACH]

2014.0 RC:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33862[/ATTACH]

So the issue seems fixed. Stay tuned for the release soon.

matt
0 Kudos