3d networks in CityEngine

12-12-2013 07:33 AM
CrispinCooper
New Contributor II
Is it possible to import a 3d network to cityengine - i.e. one with z-data or elevations, that will be rendered as bridges or tunnels as appropriate?

Also if a network extends inside a building (e.g. pedestrian walkways) is there an easy way to display this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

even though that CityEngine does not have a proper solution for converting 'networks' ( attributed 3d lines ) into nice geometry ( though that's planned ), many of these things can be done in CityEngine.

I assume you want to visualize such data in 3d ?

matt
0 Kudos
CrispinCooper
New Contributor II
That's the plan, yes.  Two problems really - (1) to visualise 3d networks; (2) to visualise 3d networks when they extend inside buildings/the ground.
0 Kudos
CrispinCooper
New Contributor II
I'd like to visualise a 3d network in a city.  Would it be possible to

1. create generative city model from building plots + building height data in cityengine
2. export that model into arcscene
3. visualise my 3d network in arcscene?

I know arcscene can handle 3d networks, and view lines inside other objects (by making those objects transparent) so if the export process is possible that would seem to be the answer.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Crispin.

Then I'd recommend to create the buildings based on CGA code directly within ArcScene ( 10.2 ) with the new GP Tool for this. CityEngine 2013 was just released, so you can use that one to create the 'Rule Packages' that are needed to run the GP tool.

There's also a second GP tool that directly creates a WebScene based on the ArcGIS scene. So basically, CityEngine is only needed to author the rules and create the RPK.

As long as the resulting pipelines are MultiPatches, you can also export them ( together with the buildings ) in a WebScene.

ok ?

matt
0 Kudos