How do I buffer regions in Business Analyst Online?

03-29-2018 11:38 AM
PeteMcGill
New Contributor II

I'd like to create a color-coded map in Business Analyst Online.  I'd like to include data out to a distance of 5 miles beyond the boundary of my study region, usually counties but sometimes metro areas or small states.  I could create this buffer region as a hand-drawn polygon, but I'd rather use a more consistent method.  Any suggestions?

3 Replies
PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Pete,

Do you want to create something like below where blue ring shows your study region and the white ring shows the 5 miles distance from your study region that captures all the zip codes intersecting it shown in color coded maps.

Thanks,

Praveen

PeteMcGill
New Contributor II

Yes, this is what I'm looking for.  (Except this example looks like it was created using rings.  My study region is unlikely to be a point site or a ring.)

FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Pete,

You can also use Geography boundaries as follows:

Go to Define Areas > Select Geography > Select from the map > select the desired intersecting geographies > you can choose to merge these geographies into one > then click Options and select No fill > Ok.

Then create your CCM and use this boundary as an extent. For example, here I created a CCM of all the counties in AZ showing a total population.

Hope this helps,

Fasil T.

Business Analyst Team