Business Analyst data on file server for multiple machines

03-09-2017 09:05 AM
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

I have three machines that can run Business Analyst Desktop, but I don't want to store the Business Analyst data locally on each machine and instead would like to store the data once as read-only on a file server that each machine can communicate to. The documentation seems to indicate that this can be done: Installing Esri Business Analyst 2016 data—Business Analyst Desktop | ArcGIS (see Step 7: Custom).

I installed the data directly on the file-server instead of through the desktop machine due to how we have permissions setup. Everything indicated it was installed and licensed properly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

To clarify, it appears that some of the data is actually working, but not the Demographic Layers (BDS). The source location is correct, but the red exclamation point is visible and the layers will not draw.

Additionally, in the Preferences window, Dataset tab, none of the Data Component Locations are available and I cannot add them.

I was able to add the Address locator and Streets Network, but it looks like I will need to do this every time. 

I'm also running ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.

0 Kudos
KristenBarry1
New Contributor III

Hi James,

There shouldn't be any issues when installing the Business Analyst data to a networked drive.  Once done, the data should be available without having to repath it in Preferences > Datasets.  Therefore, I recommend that you re- run the install for the data from the setup.exe.  When going through this install, be sure to click on the Change... option on the panel where you select which features you want installed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Change the directory for where features will be installed.

If you find that you are still not able to access your data after reinstalling the data, please let me know.  I would like to have a case created for you but will need your contact information.

Thank you!

Kristen B.

Technology Lead - Business Analyst

0 Kudos