ArcGIS Pro BA Workflow

02-12-2018 10:08 AM
BrandonPowell1
Occasional Contributor

I'm testing some functionality in ArcGIS Pro today to see if I can transfer any of my workflow from ArcMap to Pro. I've run into a snag almost immediately. Typically I'm working with a .csv file of addresses and a .csv file of store locations. I'll geocode the list using a BA USA_ZIP4_LocalComposite.loc and then use the BA toolbar to create a customer/member layer and a store layer. I then assign members to a store location using closest location. Is this functionality not available in Pro 2.1? If not that's ok, I'll just keep using ArcMap for now.

3 Replies
KyleWatson
Esri Contributor

Hello Brandon!  At the 2.1 release, you're right we do not yet have this "store-to-customer assigning" functionality yet.  However there is a way to do this in Pro using some non-BA tools.  You can use the Create Thiessen Polygons tool to build polygons around each store location, then use the Identity tool to select the intersecting customer points.  All customer points will then correspond to each of their closest store locations.  The Thiessen Polygon tool, however, has an ArcGIS Desktop "Advanced" license level.  If you have that, you can try this workflow.  If not, ArcMap will still get you the desired result.  Let us know if this helps!

Kyle

BrandonPowell1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kyle. Looks like I'll be waiting for future additions of Pro and BA. I have a standard license, and I also need customers assigned to a location even if they are outside of a trade area.

DarrenCook1
Esri Contributor

Hi Brandon, 

There is a second approach that you should be able to immediately employ and it sounds like it will meet your needs.

You can use a spatial join to assign closest store to each of your customer records and the output layer will contain closest store ID (plus any additional selected fields) appended to each customer record.

'Spatial Join' is a GP Tool. You can access it by searching the geoprocessing menu or by right clicking on your customer file within the Table of Contents, and then selecting 'Joins and Relates' from the contextual menu and subsequently clicking 'Spatial Join.'

Either approach will launch the tool and the parameters should be set as follows:

The 'Target Feature' should be your customer layer and 'Join Features' should be your stores/facilities (joining stores to customers based on spatial location).

'Output Feature Class' will be the the new file, which will contain each customer record with closest store information.

The 'Join Operation' should be set to 'Join One to Many,' so that stores can be assigned to more than one customer.

Lastly, 'Match Option' should be set to 'Closest Geodesic.'

We hope that this helps and will keep an eye out for follow up questions.

Thank you,
Darren