Address Coder Unable to Access Groups.mdb

10-16-2018 09:05 AM
MichaelBusby1
New Contributor II

I have been unsuccessful in installing and using Address Coder.

I installed ArcGIS 10.6.1 Desktop and ArcGIS 10.6.1 Background GP using default options.

I installed Business Analyst with 2017 US Data and Business Analyst Background GP using default options.

I downloaded the 60GB ZIP files for 2017 US Data and unpacked the first ZIP in order to access the install EXE.

I used the EXE to install the 2017 US Data. This took a couple hours. Windows 10 did stall at one point, asking me to "Retry or Cancel." Upon clicking "Retry" the install appeared to continue, copying and moving files. The licensing app appeared and I directed the app to my SDLIC file. 

I launched Address Coder. A number of licensing errors appeared, which appears to be normal until Address Coder is licensed. I directed Address Coder to its license file after the app loaded.

When I launch Address Coder the app tosses the errors as indicated in the attached images:

"Address Coder was unable to access C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2017\Address Coder\groups.mdb.

"Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed."

Also, this:

"Unable to open coder.mdb. Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed."

The install was accomplished using an administrator account. The paths indicated are correct and "groups.mdb" does exist.

Not sure what I am missing or have done wrong.

11 Replies
GaryChristensen
New Contributor III

I'm getting that exact error using also using 10.6.1 but with 2018 US data.  Have you found a solution?

MichaelBusby1
New Contributor II

Nope. No solution. I have been working with Esri on a solution.

I have been stymied as the faculty person has been out of town, out of the

country, has a garbage laptop with no functioning battery (outlet only),

and doesn't seem to understand it takes a day to install 80GB worth of

software and data.

However, after installing 10.6.1 with the 2018 Data, I was able to reduce

the number of errors from 4 to 2. I suspect Microsoft changed something

with their database engine support, or her version of Windows 10 is

torqued, or both. In any event, my most recent installation attempt allowed

Address Coder to actually launch, despite tossing 2 errors about

"groups.mdb" and a permission issue. I advised the faculty person to go

ahead an build her address file and try to use the Address Coder and see

what happens. In my previous attempts, Address Coder crashed after tossing

4 errors. This attempt tossed 2 errors and Address Coder continued to load,

a promising sign.

I have been meaning to install on a computer in my area of administration,

but time and work interferes.

DanielLee2
Esri Contributor

Garry and Michael, I ran into a similar issue and this resolved the issue. 

Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Cent... 

MichaelBusby1
New Contributor II

I did try that download, as suggested by Esri Support. Did not work in my

case, however. #mb

GavinChance1
New Contributor

I installed the software on a bunch of all of our machines with no issues, however, I just tried to add it to an additional machine and got this issue did you ever get a solution?

PeterWiringa
New Contributor III

Same problem here. We worked around it by giving authenticated users full control on C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2018\Address Coder.

I can't be sure, but there might have been some difference during the installation when running the dataset installer while logged in to an admin account vs. using run-as-admin from a regular user account.

PavanYadav
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

Can you please email me at pyadav at esri.com and share you Support Case ID so that I can work with the analyst and  see if anyhow I can expedite a resolution for you?

Thanks

Pavan

Pavan Yadav | Technology Lead

Esri Support Services, Esri | 380 New York Street, Redlands CA 92373 | USA

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE ®

PavanYadav
Esri Contributor

Greetings,

We have had a few customers contacted our Technical Support about this or similar issues. The following two have had worked for those customers:

1. Uninstall and reinstall of BA <year> data
  2. Install a right Microsoft Access Database Engine so Business Analyst (Address Coder) could read the .mdb files necessary to run the program. We found that we needed to install the 32bit version silently (despite running Windows 10 64 bit) in order to resolve the issue. Because ArcGIS Desktop is a 32bit application, we needed to install the version matching the client. This is alluded to under the 'additional information' section on the download page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54920

Please try the above, if they don’t help please contact Esri Support.

Thanks

Pavan

Pavan Yadav | Technology Lead

Esri Support Services, Esri | 380 New York Street, Redlands CA 92373 | USA

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE ®

GaryChristensen
New Contributor III

Pavan, thank you. I ran the silent install on the 32-bit client and that resolved the errors.