Validating ESRI Income and Tapestry Demographic info

11-19-2018 12:04 PM
JackBoyd
New Contributor III

I'm using Business Analyst to do site and community analysis and wanted to validate some of the ESRI demographic information and Tapestry segmentation assignments with our internal data, just to see how accurate the ESRI information may be. 

I looked at ESRI average income, median income and Tapestry Segmentation at the block level for 117 addresses and compared that info with our own internal income information.  

Comparing ESRI data with our own internal data, the data was very good for 3 of the 4 segments but wildly off for addresses that were tagged as Middleburg segment.  I realize that its not realistic to try to validate ESRI demographics with individual addresses and our sample size is relatively small but I was surprised to see the data so close for 3 of the 4 segments and off for Middleburg segmentation.  Is there any data re how to interpret this kind of data?  Thanks.    

Soccer Moms

45 addresses

ESRI Avg Income:  $104.7K,  Our Avg Income: $105.4K.  ESRI Median Income: $93k, Internal Median Income: $87.9K

Professional Pride

31 Addresses

ESRI Avg Income: $159.2K, Our Avg Income: $169.7K, ESRI Median Income: $135.9k,  Our Med Income: $140k.

Middleburg

22 Addresses

ESRI Avg Income: $83.6k, Our Avg Income: $134k;  ESRI Median Income: $66.3K, Our Med Income: $100.2K

Savvy Suburbanites

19 Addresses

ESRI Avg Income: $159k, Our income: $140.3K,  ESRI Med Income: $113.2K, Our Med Income: $147k. 

3 Replies
BrandonPowell1
Occasional Contributor

Are you using the latest BA 2018 data or something older? Not that I know how to answer you, but anyone at ESRI is going to want to know what version of the data you're on. Assuming you're using BA desktop.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good Morning,

Will you please give me a call at 800-292-2224 so we can discuss this? 

Thanks so much! Alice Kavanagh

Esri Data Sales

akavanagh@esri.com

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jack,

If you would still like to discuss this, please give me a call or send me an email.

Thank you! Alice

akavanagh@esri.com

800-292-2224