Retail Marketplace data no longer updated?

Jump to solution
07-22-2021 12:21 PM
Kirby_MDate
New Contributor II

Reviewing ESRI's data documentation today, I was surprised to find that retail marketplace data is "mature", and has not been updated since 2017.  I think this means that we can no longer get information about household retail expenditures by drive times and other geographies.  This is key to Business Analyst in my opinion, saved a ton of hand analysis, and one of the reasons I subscribe.  ESRI, what can you tell us about this?  I hope you have a replacement dataset planned?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/esri-demographics/data/us-data-fact-sheet.htm

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
AKavanagh
New Contributor III

Hi Kirby, 

The Retail Marketplace data is from 2017, this includes all supply and demand related estimates. The only 2021 updates are the four 2021 variables at the top of the report: 2021 population, households, median disposable income, and per capita income. So, to answer your question, demand, supply, and the number of businesses are all 2017 data. If you need updated business counts, please take a look at the Business Summary Profile. For updated sales estimates, please refer to the Consumer Spending Reports. I've attached some samples for your review.  Thank you very much, Alice Kavanagh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Kirby_MDate ,

Please review the response from @Anonymous User for a similar question here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-business-analyst-questions/when-will-the-2017-retail-marketplace-data-used-in/td-p/877439

Thanks,

Fasil

0 Kudos
Kirby_MDate
New Contributor II

OK here's a followup question related to the "maturing" of Retail Marketplace data. What of the parameters given in the reports is outdated, and what is updated to 2021? 

-demand (retail potential in $)

-supply (retail sales in $)

-number of businesses

It would help me to know what I can still rely on, in building my own model.  I would assume at least number of businesses is updated?  Perhaps total sales per category as well, or was that an ESRI modeled variable?

Thanks - KMD

0 Kudos
AKavanagh
New Contributor III

Hi Kirby, 

The Retail Marketplace data is from 2017, this includes all supply and demand related estimates. The only 2021 updates are the four 2021 variables at the top of the report: 2021 population, households, median disposable income, and per capita income. So, to answer your question, demand, supply, and the number of businesses are all 2017 data. If you need updated business counts, please take a look at the Business Summary Profile. For updated sales estimates, please refer to the Consumer Spending Reports. I've attached some samples for your review.  Thank you very much, Alice Kavanagh

0 Kudos
Kirby_MDate
New Contributor II

Thank you Alice, this is very helpful, and is enough to save a lot of inventory time.  Much appreciated!

KMD

0 Kudos
AKavanagh
New Contributor III

You're welcome!

0 Kudos
EricD
by
New Contributor

I also used the Retail Marketplace Profile reports extensively.   It would be really helpful if the new reports such as the  "retail goods and services expenditures" had a total amount excluding items such as value of financial assets, insurance and home mortgages, etc.  Do you know if there is a report with totals or if this can be added?  Thanks, Eric

0 Kudos