Use Nearby in Infographic to show Straight Line and Road Distance

07-01-2020 10:47 AM
Labels (1)
RobertFord
New Contributor III

It would be great to combine the road distance calculations of "Closest Facility" and straight line distance of "Nearby" in an Infographic. Right now it appears as though "Nearby" is straight line distance in both community analyst and business analyst. I would like to determine what the closest features are based on the road network like the Closest Facility Network Analysis does. It would be great to be able to select one or the other for each feature you want to calculate distances for.

I work for a public safety agency and have created an infographic that shows distances to select features. The types of distances matter because the purpose of it is to show straight distances to threats where roads don't matter ( think explosions and spills from roads, rails, industrial sites, flood zones) and distance to places that could help that MUST use roads to do so (fire/police stations and hospitals).

Below is an example of the report I created with certain details removed:

5 Comments
JessicaCigna

I agree that Nearby would be much improved with a road network distance. Here's an example of why it's really important. I've created an Application for voters to drop off their Mail Ballots at a town hall that is closest to them. An Island Address is showing a town hall on main land (North Kingstown Town Hall) that is closer than the town hall on the island (Jamestown Town Hall). If you were to do road network distance North Kingstown would be 17 miles instead of the 4 that the app tells me. Voters ARE able to go to any town hall, but I'd prefer this app to tell folks that live at the top of the island that their own town hall is closer.  To get around this weirdness I have turned off the distance numbers. No need to confuse the public. https://ristate.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/nearby/index.html?appid=72c6ecd6bddd44cbbd3f007969fb1c3...  

by Anonymous User

@RobertFord @JessicaCigna 

Thanks for this, is your thought that network distance replaces straight line, show network distance AND straight line or network distance OR straight line?

Thanks,

Aaron

RobertFord

@Anonymous User 

Thanks for looking into this!

I would love to be able to choose either network OR straight line for EACH metric I show in my example.

Thank you again!

JessicaCigna

@Anonymous User Thanks so much for taking the time to consider this. 2021 is off to a great start! 

I think that if you are going to continue to call this app Nearby then it definitely needs an option for network distance because straight line distance is very misleading when trying to show people how close items are to them that they have to travel to and in the case I point out above - only if you are traveling to a drop box by boat and then hiking to the location, is the town hall 4 miles away :).  I can see where straight line would interesting in certain cases, so if other users like RobertFord are asking for it, go for it. 

Thanks again. 

Jess

JessicaCigna

Hi @Anonymous User 

I was wondering what the status of this was? Is network distance something that is available in the Nearby app?