Create four+ Site radius/drivetimes in Business Analyst online/web app

06-07-2018 11:39 AM
KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Mostly I run sites in Canada but this applies generally. I want to run a radius analysis around a location for four distance rings. I can only select up to three. I know I workaround this (run 3, create report then repeat for 4th band) but it doubles report creation which I think is unnecessary.

Further, I've noticed that my US report (customised from Esri report) contains a summary (e.g. "In the identified area, the current year population is X." I find these summaries a bit pointless because they only refer to the data in the first band. I'd like to see these removed or customised to reflect data from each band.

PSrivastava-esristaff

Thanks

Kieran

#businessanalyst‌ 

#bao web app

PS Further to this, I realised that although I can create a report using a workaround, it's not exactly straightforward to create a map of all the radii. In this case I'll use my desktop ArcMap but not everyone would have this option.

6 Comments
DonnaBuhr

Hi Kieran,

It’s always nice to hear from you. 

Your first enhancement request seems straightforward that you would like the ability to create a four-ring study area.  Currently up to three rings can be created, and you would like to be able to create up to four rings in a single study area.  Is that correct?

I may need a bit more information to clearly understand your second enhancement requests. Are you creating a study area using the “Bands” option to calculate the difference in areas for the rings used in the reports.  If so, is the summary data in the report not what you expected?  Is that the issue?

Which Esri reports are you using to customize the summary data, because the data is displayed differently on different reports?  For example, the “Market Profile” and the “Demographic and Income Comparison Profile” reports display the Population Summary in a side-by-side comparison for all three bands, i.e. Ring Band: 0-1-mile radius, 1–3 mile radius, and 3–5 mile radius; while the “Demographic and Income Profile” and many other reports display the ring band: 0-1-mile radius, 1–3 mile radius, and 3–5 mile radius on individual pages. Please provide any additional information that will help me better understand your request.

As always, we greatly appreciate your valuable feedback.

Thank you,

Donna

KieranSmith2

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your reply and further questions. Firstly, yes the 4-ring option (or more - particularly with drivetimes I sometimes have a need for several ranges up to around 60 minutes). It would be a nice enhancement.

As for the other request, almost always my bands are not difference-based (e.g. I need 0-1, 0-3, 0-5 etc) when calculating the totals. However in my output report that shows the data for all 3 bands in different columns, as seen below. But the text refers to only one "identified area" (which is not specified) and then the numbers are given for only one band. I feel there should be text for all the bands or none at all. If I pass this report on to someone else it's not really intuitive for them as it stands. I'm guessing the text is just taking data from whatever is in the first band (I've heard of the same behaviour in the mobile Quick Facts data).

Hope that helps let me know if you've more questions.

Thanks. Kieran

DonnaBuhr

Hi Kieran,

The additional information you provided is very helpful so that I have a better understanding of your second enhancement request.   You would like additional text be added to reports to better define the study area.  This is a good suggestion and I will pass your request on to our data content team for consideration. 

Thanks again,

Donna

KieranSmith2

Hi Donna

Yes that would be ideal, if it can easily fit into the template (too much text would be counter-productive). Also interested to know if this would be specifically for US or can apply to other countries (I work primarily with Canadian data).

Thanks

Kieran

ScottPrindle

Hi Kieran Smith,

Thanks for submitting this idea and expanding on it in the comments! In order to ensure support is clearly associated with one suggestion or the other, could you submit a separate idea for your second request?

Everyone else,

When voting for this idea, please consider adding a comment to share your use case. How would this change improve or affect your current (or planned) workflows? Are 4 rings adequate for your projects, or would you need 5 or more? If more, why? Any additional information you can provide in the comments will help our development teams create the new functionality with your needs in mind.

Thanks,

Scott

KieranSmith2

Hi Scott

Thanks for that. Here is the new thread for this second request

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15325