Virtual keyboard not displaying for Windows 10 devices

05-15-2016 06:36 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all.

Testing on a Microsoft Surface device, I can't get the virtual keyboard to open for TextArea, TextField etc.

A quick google search shows that it is likely not just a QML issue but more widespread, and various suggestions are given around Windows settings for tablet mode and/or typing etc. But I haven't been able to find any combination of settings that work.

On iOS devices the keyboard pops straight up when the TextField gets active focus. I've even tried calling Qt.inputMethod.show() when the field gets active focus but no luck.

The only way to show the virtual keyboard is clicking on the icon in the taskbar, but that is very non-user-friendly and would not be possible in an app running in fullscreen mode.

I know it's not specifically an AppStudio issue, but wonder if anyone has come across it and has any ideas on a solution? My only next thought is building a custom keypad...

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan. Thanks for the reply.

Have searched with no luck yet. Have seen those links you posted and nothing from there appears to help.

It appears to me that Microsoft have changed the code to invoke the virtual keyboard at some point around Win 8 or 10, and QT hasn't caught up yet. I had hoped there was some call other than Qt.inputMethod.show()  that I didn't know about.

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
SathyaPrasad
Esri Contributor

Paul,

Two questions:

1. Is this happening on player or stand-alone app or both?

2. Can you check if Survey123 on the same device works w.r.t keyboard.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sathya

Sorry took so long replying, have only just got around to testing this.

I can confirm that the virtual keyboard on my Surface Pro does *not* open whether using the player or stand-alone apps, and does not work in Survey123 either. (Tested just now, created new Survey123 app within AppStudio v1.2)

For my particular purpose I ended up creating a whole virtual keyboard from scratch, luckily just needed basic letters, space, etc so not too tricky...!

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos