Suggestions in local locators not showing all results

04-08-2020 05:35 PM
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

I created a composite locator from two gazetteer locators that search for name and category.  The results of the suggestions are only showing from the beginning of the word.  For example, if I search for "lion" it will suggest "lion fish" or "lion parking lot" but not "african lion".  I can't find where to include searching the whole word and not from just the beginning.  I am developing in AppStudio using the runtime for Qt.  I created the locators in ArcGIS Pro.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

Thanks Erwin.  My runtime version is the latest one.

Brad,

I tried your suggestions and added a subcategory.  I used the "Create Locator" tool and mapped my placename, category, and subcategory.  Now I don't get any suggestions.  I had thought I tried this one before and also did not get any suggestions.  And, according to this documentation (GeocodeParameters QML Type | ArcGIS for Developers ) categories are not supported with local locators.  It suggests I use the gazetteer style address locator which I have been using....but it only supports Type and Name and no categories.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Tim,

So you don't get suggestions for anything?  That is odd.  That documentation is actually outdated and only refers to the classic locators not these new locators.  Do you get geocoding results back?

Brad

0 Kudos
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

Yeah, unfortunately I do not get any suggestions and I do not get any geocoding results.  I added a locatorInfo function to see what attributes are returned and it gave me a long list but none of them were Category or SubCategory.  It listed the normal address attributes plus Type and PlaceName.  Type and PlaceName are the only attributes I can get to work with the Gazetteer style locator.  Thank you for you time looking into this.

0 Kudos
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

....and how do I know if I'm using the new locators?  My ArcGIS Pro is using the latest version as is my AppStudio.  Just to clarify, I am building my own locator and utilizing a mmpk.  Not sure if that makes a difference.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Tim,

You have not been forgotten, sorry for the delay between responses.

1. Does your locator work as expected in Pro?

2. Just want to also confirm that you are using the "Create Locator" tool with the POI role and not "Create Address Locator" tool with the Gazetteer style correct?

3. Are you compiling the app to be x64?

Brad

0 Kudos
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

My locator I created with "Create Locator" with the POI role enabled did not work in ArcGIS Pro.  No suggestions and no results.  My data is pretty simple and the process is straightforward so I have no idea why it's not working.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Tim,

What version of Pro are you using?  I did a very simple test on my side to create a locator with Place Name, Place Category and Place Subcategory mapped and everything works for me in Pro.

Brad

0 Kudos
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.5. (would it be easier to send you my data?  It's not that big) Here are my parameters:

Create Locator parameters

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Tim,

Another question that I am not sure I have a clear understanding of right now.  Does searching for something without category work right now?

Brad

0 Kudos
TimConfare1
New Contributor II

No worries Brad, I appreciate the help as I'm stuck and I believe this is my last hurdle.  

I will check with Pro, I don't remember testing it there first.  I'll let you know how that goes.  

I did use the "Create Locator" tool with the POI role.

I am not certain if I compiled the app to 64bit.  One thing I really have not done is configure more kits in addition to the default Desktop one (which I am testing on).  I tried to create one for my iPhone a little while back but it didn't work and I never revisited it.  Is there any good documentation on configuring kits?

With the "Create Locator", searching does not work for me.   I will test in Pro and get back to you.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos