Pre screen responses from QuickReport App

05-24-2021 03:41 PM
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello All,

I am about to deploy an AppStudio app that draws heavily from the QuickReport template.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but does anyone know if there is a way to pre screen features/photos collected using the app before they are uploaded to the publicly accessible online map? We are worried about people uploading lewd images and do not want them to go public.

Thanks and have a great evening,

Garrett

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulHaakma_Eagle
Esri Contributor

Hi Garrett

I haven't set up a QuickReport for a while, but off the top of my head.... 

I think you can set it up so the feature service permissions are 'add only' so that users can submit features, but no one can view them. You could then add a field called something like 'approved' with a default value of 'no', then set up a 'feature view' of that layer that filters out features not approved. Then use that feature view in your public web map.

You would then set up a process to manually review submitted features which would require someone to change the 'approved' field to 'yes' which would allow it to be viewed in the filtered view/web map.

Would that work?

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith

Hi Paul

Thanks so much. I am not very knowledgeable about any of this so your solution sounds good.

If I added an "Approved" field, is there a way to make it not visible in the QuickReport details page?

Also, the online map feeds into a separate app that is based on the MapViewer template. I guess a filtered view/web map would work for that?

This seems like it would be a rather "involved" process. I am just a contractor that is setting up the project, but they now want me to manage it so I will have to take that into account when I ask for additional funding.

This is all a great learning experience and thanks for the suggestion.

Garrett

0 Kudos
PaulHaakma_Eagle
Esri Contributor

Good point re not wanting the 'Approved' field to be visible.

I guess the answer to that would be similar in that you could create a feature layer view that filtered out that field, and use that view (with appropriate editor settings etc) for the app.

So you would end up with the source feature layer (not shared at all), and two views (both without the 'Approved' field), one for the app to use to submit reports only (no read access, just create) and the other for the web map (read access only).

You would then use the source feature layer to actually update the 'Approved' field.

You can read up on feature layer views here:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith

Hi

Paul.

Another question. 

If the app creates a new feature, how would you have a column (attribute) that would automatically populate? Does that make sense? 

I am confused on how I would have a default value for a feature that has not been created yet.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulHaakma_Eagle
Esri Contributor

You can set default values when you create and configure the feature layer itself. Although I don't think that entirely works if you then use a view to create features where you exclude that particular field.

Either way, for the use case above, it doesn't really matter if you set a default value or not. All that matters is that the public webmap only displays features where 'approved' = 'yes'. If approved is 'no' or just null, either way the end users won't see the features until you set it to 'yes'.

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree with @PaulHaakma_Eagle, I think the easiest way to do it from the Feature Layer or ArcGIS Online side rather than the Quick Report side. 

0 Kudos