Offline mmpk Map Not Displaying

04-11-2021 03:42 PM
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

I have posted this issue a couple of times, but this is the only step that will not allow me to deploy the app to the willing and waiting public.

I cannot for the life of me get the offline map to work. 

I created the mmpk with ArcPro. Uploaded it to my ArcGIS Online account. And I think that I am referencing it right in my settings. (Pictures attached).

Could the file be corrupted? Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Thanks for any help, this app is soon ready for prime time and it has been a really long but rewarding process.

G

0 Kudos
14 Replies
GarrettRSmith

Ok.

I made a new mmpk, but unfortunately my home internet is too slow to upload it to AGOL so I will have to wait until tomorrow to try it out when I can go into town and get real internet (I live in the mountains).

I believe that the map should be in WGS 1984 Web Mercator. The regular online map used in the app is created in AGOL so it should automatically be in Web Mercator right? I checked the tile projection and it was the WGS 1984 Web Mercator before I made the mmpk. I did have the "Enable Anonymous Use" option and clicked on it when creating my new mmpk. 

Just to make sure I did not mess anything up with my "edited" app, I opened a new QuickReport template from scratch, inserted my old mmpk, and there was still no map displayed when I went offline. I have no idea with that file. One thing that that I was thinking is that maybe the offline map does not work because I do not have a developer's account yet? I am fishing for an answer here. Maybe my new one will work tomorrow.

With the new Map Viewer, can users create a new feature and attach an image to it? That is the functionality that is most useful to me in the QuickReport template.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I found your MMPK online, the older one of 14 April, and I can confirm that the map projection was in the NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N projection and the TPK in WGS 1984 Web Mercator. So that is why it was not loading once downloaded.  Once you correct this, it should work in your app. 

But this is a very large file at 435 MB and it will take a long time for people to download, particularly on a mobile device in an area with poor internet. Perhaps consider reducing the size of your TPK by limiting the maximum level of detail on the maximum level.

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith

Thank you so much for that find. A really basic question on my end. How do you change the projection of the map? I am sure my new one will be the same since I never declared a projection for the mmpk. 

Also, thanks for the advice on the file size. Like I said this is a large study area. I suspect most people will just accept where their location is and not need to scroll in for too much detail so the zoom level should not be a big deal. 

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Garrett

To change the map projection, right click on the title of your map at the top of the Table of Contents, just under the heading "Drawing Order". Then select Properties > Coordinate Systems. The current map projection will be listed in the bluish box.  

You can then select the Web Mercator projection by either searching for it in the Search box or you can select from the Layers option below which lists the projection of all the different layers currently in your map. 

Best of luck ..

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith

Hi

While I was running this AM after posting the question I realized that it was pretty easily done. What a school boy error.

The good news is that I was successful in making an mmpk with the proper projection and now my app works on and offline. Unfortunately, the client wants a more detailed offline map that I included in a smaller file size one.

Thanks for all of your help. I am making a Map Viewer app next and will probably have a ton of questions about that as well. 

0 Kudos