MapViewer template and bookmark menu item

Jump to solution
05-05-2021 02:33 PM
PaulHaakma_Eagle
Esri Contributor

I wonder if anyone else can confirm this behavior and/or comment on whether it seems right?

In the MapViewer template, if you open a web map that has bookmarks, then the bookmark icon appears and you can open the panel and display the bookmarks which is fine.

But if the web map does NOT have bookmarks, then the bookmark icon is hidden, but for some reason then an entry is inserted into the "more" drop down menu called 'Bookmarks'. Of course if you click it then the bookmark panel opens but is empty.

Can anyone think of a reason why you would specifically want the bookmark menu entry if there are no bookmarks?

To stop this, I found the line in MapPage.qml around line 1010 that appears to insert the menu item and replaced it with a line that does the opposite and removes any bookmark menu entry.

PaulHaakma_Eagle_0-1620250181882.png

The only reason I could think to keep it there is from a UX perspective so a user doesn't go looking for a non-existent "bookmarks" icon/menu entry and get confused, but in that case I think it might be better to add the bookmark menu item but disable it so the user can see it but knows it is unavailable.

A small thing but interested in comments.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulHaakma_Eagle 

Thank you so much for this feedback!

You are correct, that is the current behavior, when there is no bookmark in the webmap, the bookmark menu will be moved to the overflow menu. 

I like this idea, we have something similar for the feature details panel, when there is no attachment or media, those tabs are hidden. I will bring this up to the team, it will be also helpful if you can submit an idea or official enhancement request. 

Erwin. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulHaakma_Eagle 

Thank you so much for this feedback!

You are correct, that is the current behavior, when there is no bookmark in the webmap, the bookmark menu will be moved to the overflow menu. 

I like this idea, we have something similar for the feature details panel, when there is no attachment or media, those tabs are hidden. I will bring this up to the team, it will be also helpful if you can submit an idea or official enhancement request. 

Erwin.