FileDialog crashes iOS app in custom built Player app when folder is set to "file:assets-library://" (but not in AppStudio Player)

Jump to solution
03-16-2021 02:43 PM
KevinCheriyan
Occasional Contributor

I have a custom-built Player app (started from scratch using sample Player app in AppStudio) which is meant to download and load other AppStudio apps (referred to as child apps here) I've built. I built the app for iOS devices and I'm testing it on an iPad Mini 5th Gen. 

I run into issues when implementing an "Upload Photo" feature into one of my child apps. Around 50% of the time, the app crashes and becomes unresponsive when opening the FileDialog. I've narrowed the issue down to the folder property of FileDialog which is pointing to

Qt.platform.os == "ios" ? "file:assets-library://" : shortcuts.pictures

I'm running on iOS, so it gets file:assets-library as its value. If I change this value to 

StandardPaths.standardLocations(StandardPaths.PicturesLocation)[2]

this works without crashing perfectly. But I want to point the user to the Pictures directory, so this isn't useful.

Also worth mentioning is that all this works perfectly as expected, in Esri's original AppStudio player app. I can upload my child app that contains "Upload Photo" functionality to AppStudio Player and it works. It's only when I upload to my custom-built app and run my child app in there that it crashes. 

This is similar to the issue @Anonymous User was having in this thread: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-appstudio-questions/file-dialog-shortcuts-pictures-crashes-a-built-app-although-not/m-p/768939

Any idea why this is crashing and what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------
Application Developer, GeoMarvel
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

@KevinCheriyan 

I think this is related to this Qt bug, https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-78468 

Since this is working on out-of-the-box AppStudio Player 4.4, it is worth trying building your custom AppStudio Player using Cloud Make 4.4? Because this is what we are building out of the box AppStudio Player with. 

Erwin.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

@KevinCheriyan 

I think this is related to this Qt bug, https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-78468 

Since this is working on out-of-the-box AppStudio Player 4.4, it is worth trying building your custom AppStudio Player using Cloud Make 4.4? Because this is what we are building out of the box AppStudio Player with. 

Erwin.

KevinCheriyan
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response, Erwin. We've built a version using Cloud Make and are about to test this to see if issues persist. I will update the status here once it's ready.

0 Kudos
KevinCheriyan
Occasional Contributor

Hi Erwin, this worked without issue. FileDialog opens to assets-library directory without crashing the app when building our custom Player app using Cloud Make 4.4, instead of Local Make.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos