Dashed line symbology turns to white line after being selected

10-13-2015 01:40 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All

I'd be interested to know if anyone can replicate this issue and/or provide feedback on why it's happening and how to stop it...

I have a feature service published with a dashed line symbology. I have this loaded into a map as a feature layer. When first loading the app, it displays fine. If I then select this feature, it highlights it as you would expect, but for some reason also turns the line to a solid white line. This solid white symbology then persists even after the line is unselected. Not only the selected line, but all lines with that symbology then turn to white solid line as well. At that point, I can't find any way to reset the symbology without closing and restarting the app.

I have tried: online/offline using GeodatabaseFeatureServiceTable vs GeodatabaseFeatureTable. Have tried saving the renderer to a json file and applying that to a renderer and assigning to the layer. Have tried reapplying that renderer after it stuffs up. None of these seem to work.

Any feedback or help appreciated.

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Paul-

Can you share the JSON representation of the renderer? I tried creating a simple line graphic with a dashed line symbology, and that works as expected, so maybe there is something in the renderer causing issues.

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Luke

Sorry, I did figure this out a couple of days ago but haven't updated this thread.

To achieve using 'Advanced Symbology' with a local geodatabase, I had saved the renderer JSON data, and was loading and applying that to the feature layer. When I went back and examined the symbology in the mxd, a couple of the types had a white line which I think was intended at the time to be a background and which was 'behind' the other line(s). I believe that selecting the line in the app was somehow bringing the white line in front of the others therefore displaying as white (but I could be wrong - this is only my theory).

What was complicating things was that only a couple of line types (out of about 10 with dashed line types) had the white line in the symbology, but the issue of turning white affected all of them.

All I really know is that I went through all the symbology types and removed all the white background lines, regenerated my json file and it appears to work now.

So I would park this as not an issue, but would be interesting if anyone else ever encountered anything similar.

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos