Can you create a mobile app from a map built in the web appbuilder?

Jump to solution
10-31-2019 08:58 AM
JustinAndersen1
New Contributor

I have a project I'm working on where I'd like to take a web app that I have already built and turn it into a mobile app. I realize you can open the web app on your phone but the format is not that great. I've been trying to use the appstudio but I'm not really getting anywhere. I'm just starting out using the appstudio also so it may just be that I don't know what I'm doing yet.

So far, I've been trying to do this using the Map Viewer Template since I'm not experienced with coding at this level. My main issue has that the web app doesn't show up in the appstudio. I have been experimenting in the settings and have been trying to input my web app id under settings>properties>gallery>map query.

I tested this with my base map and it shows up fine so I don't think its an issue with the map id or portal url or any other settings. Because of this, I'm thinking that it just isn't possible to view web apps the same way you can with simple maps in appstudio.

Can someone verify if this is true or not and if there are any strategies I can use to go around these limitations at all?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Justin,

MapViewer template in AppStudio is the closest comparison to Web AppBuilder web for the out-of-the-box template in AppStudio. It does not have all of the capabilities and widgets that Web AppBuilder has, but it has enough functionality to showcase your webmap(s) in the mobile app. 

As for the issue you are having with the Map Viewer template not showing the web map, I think you must have put the wrong id into the settings>properties>gallery>map query. What we need is the webmap id of your map, not the Web AppBuilder application id. 

Can you please make sure that you put the webmap id in the settings? and see if the map is showing in the MapViewer template of AppStudio. 

Thank you,

Erwin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Justin,

MapViewer template in AppStudio is the closest comparison to Web AppBuilder web for the out-of-the-box template in AppStudio. It does not have all of the capabilities and widgets that Web AppBuilder has, but it has enough functionality to showcase your webmap(s) in the mobile app. 

As for the issue you are having with the Map Viewer template not showing the web map, I think you must have put the wrong id into the settings>properties>gallery>map query. What we need is the webmap id of your map, not the Web AppBuilder application id. 

Can you please make sure that you put the webmap id in the settings? and see if the map is showing in the MapViewer template of AppStudio. 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
JustinAndersen1
New Contributor

Ok this clears up a lot.

Yes, the webmap shows up in the map viewer. I never had any issues with that I but I thought that I could also form the mobile app around the web app that I had already built.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
RonnieRichards
Occasional Contributor III

It would be nice if AppStudio had a simple wrapper to consume a Web App Builder application. We have tried this with the browserview and it works great but still not optimal because most of the browser navigation components are present.

Many agencies still want to have a web and mobile version and WebAppBuilder solutions could solve these challenges. Maintaining 2 different code bases for very simple applications is an issue.

0 Kudos