can't start AppStudio, AppStudioPlayer and Qt Creator

11-17-2015 09:27 AM
HolgerSchelpmeier
New Contributor

I've installed AppStudio and AppStudioPlayer on a Windows 7, SP 1 OS.
Clicking on the AppStudio- and AppStudioPlayer-icons only gives me blank windows.
Clicking on the Qt Creator- icon shows no reaction at all.

I've done the installation on a virtual windows 7 OS as well. Here I succeeded in starting the AppStudio, AppStudioPlayer and Qt Creator, but the graphics in the AppStudio- and AppStudioPlayer-windows now were very grainy. For this reason I wasn't able to work with them.

Might it be a graphic card problem?
Are there any system requirements wich could be responsible for this behaviour?

Any help would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HolgerSchelpmeier
New Contributor

As a matter of fact, the behavior, I described for the first Win 7 OS is a crash similar to the bug AppStu-000081 reported under https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/feedback/view.html?cap=5E0BCBB972004AC7A67F93442531EF0F&uf=A48...
So that problem might be not resolved up to now.
The Visual Studio Debugger gives me the hint, that there is a access violation in AppBuider.exe concerning the Qt5Quick.dll.
Following the information, provided on Qt for Windows - Requirements | Qt 5.5  I supposed, that it could be a problem of Open GL or Direct X - Support. But this idea might be wrong, because there is a graphics driver that provides OpenGL 2.1 on my machine.

I encountered the behaviour, which I described above for the second Windows 7, as well with a virtual Windows 8.1 OS. Here I don't have a crash, but the graphics of AppStudio are fare to grainy - it's impossible to use it.
Qt Creator is working fine wth both virtual machines (Win 7 + Win 8).

So I really wonder if others encountered these problems as well.
Are there any hidden requirements for the install of AppStudio on Windows systems?

Whats the technology behind AppStudio? Is it programmed with Qt?

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

As you speculate above, yes AppStudio is built upon Qt.

We have had some older machines that we've seen similar issues to that you describe, and attribute the problems to graphic card limitations.

AppStudio uses Qt's ANGLE, which implements the OpenGL ES 2.0 API on top of DirectX 11 or DirectX 9. This sounds like a neat specification that we could document, but we've also seen machines that use DirectX and still don't work.

HolgerSchelpmeier
New Contributor

Marika, thank you very much for this information!
I've tested AppStudio with my machine and two VMWare-machines.
Thy all use DirectX 11 and support OpenGL 2.1 as well. As I understand the specifications on Qt for Windows - Requirements | Qt 5.5  , ANGLE is only needed, if there is no OpenGL-Support on my machine, right?
If ANGLE would be needed: do I have to implement it on my own  - or is it part of the AppStudio - Installation?,

Do you have any advice for me how to keep going on?

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

AppStudio itself uses ANGLE, and when you choose to use cloud make, the apps that you build from AppStudio will use ANGLE - so you don't need to do anything.

Sadly I too have a computer sitting on my desk too that is still great but wont run AppStudio. My Surface 2 does run it well as does the VM's I use it on. One VM is Win 7 and has DirectX 11, the other Win 10 and has DirectX 11.2.

What about processors/memory (on your virtual machines)? I see my Win 7 machine has 2 CPUs and 4GB RAM. What do yours have?

0 Kudos
HolgerSchelpmeier
New Contributor

Regarding the Win 8 - VM - Machine, I now succeded in starting AppStudio in the proper way - after having done the VM Ware V. 12 - Update.
After the VM Ware V. 12 - Update on the Win 7 - VM - Machine, AppStudio gave me an error message, saying that the graphi card doesn't suit to AppStudio.
On my Win 7 - Desktop machine Appstudio still could not be started.
There I have 1 CPU an 8GB RAM.

0 Kudos
HolgerSchelpmeier
New Contributor

Just one remark: My Win 7 - Desktop machine has 2 CPU ...

0 Kudos