Can I make my survey123 form available in the appstore (like with AppStudio?)

08-22-2018 11:04 PM
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

I have a nice survey123 form that is shared publicly. Rather than share the link every time, it would be great to point people to an app in the Android store. Is this possible? and to keep the offline capability?

I have a Developer license, running AppStudio with the standard license (additional options). I also have a google developer account.  What do I need to do?

15 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aurelie,

You would need to modify the Survey123 source code and modify it so that it automatically downloads/opens a given survey; this can be done within AppStudio.  After that, you could build it with your logo/graphics and deploy to  the App Stores.

AurelieShapiro

What I want is the survey to be accessible in the google play store. How would editing survey123 change that - or I guess that shows I know nothing about AppStudio. any tips or help pages on making this possible would be great, thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aurelie,

What you are proposing is to create a custom version of Survey123 - taking the application's source code and modifying it so that:

- it downloads a specified survey when open

- Instead of the gallery page on start, it would open the survey itself

You would probably want to have some other modifications in behavior around disconnected workflows and you would also need to make some changes in regards to branding (title, icons, colors, etc).

If the form is relatively simple, you might be better served with the QuickReport template instead of Survey123 - that can be created from the AppStudio website - QuickReport 2.0 Video Tutorial - YouTube 

AurelieShapiro

Thanks James,

I have a lot of problems with the Quick Report, (for some reason photos cannot be added, even though it is clearly enabled in the settings), it also doesn't have any smart form functionality.

I downloaded the survey123 template into appstudio....but I don't see where to add the link to my form or any parameters for my questions? I also can't find any help or documentation - how can this be? How are beginners supposed to get started with AppStudio (after paying for quite an expensive license?)

This page is all I can find and of very little help: Configure Survey123 using AppStudio for ArcGIS—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

am I supposed to understand that all I can do is open the Survey123 app with a custom picture?

when I click on {edit} on my app in AppStudio, nothing happens - isn't a window supposed to open?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any updates to Aurelie and Yulia's questions?

I haven't been able to locate documentation that describes how to:

- download a specified survey when open

- Instead of the gallery page on start, it would open the survey itself

Aurelie ShapiroYulia Mamonova‌  did either of you ever sort this out?

Any help or direction is appreciated! 

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro

hi Brita,

So I actually found a consultant who edited the survey123 QT code for me so that it skips the gallery page. it's a stand alone app in the app store (take a look: WWF East Africa Mangrove App).

If you like it, I can share the code with you. Of course, I want to add different surveys in different languages and actually want the gallery page back and don't know how to do it, as my consultant quit (said that the appstudio documentation was so bad he couldn't reasonably meet our expectations! and was concerned to have his name associated with apps that don't work well.)

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I will definitely check it out. Is it android?

Thank you so much for sharing the source code! Can you email it please? I would love to be able to take a look at the changes made, although I hate to hear it may not be straight forward or may not work well using appstudio. 

Thanks for the super quick response also!

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro

ok try this: Dropbox - mangrove_app.zip - Simplify your life 

Also, I believe my consultant added a part where it checks if the latest survey is downloaded, and if not downloads it!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got it! Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos