APK too large for Google Play

Jump to solution
05-26-2020 10:15 AM
JohnLivengood
New Contributor III

I created a simple app using the Map Viewer 4.2 template and attempted to upload to Google Play.  Looks like there is a 100 mb restriction the 64-bit version is too large.  About 108 mb.  The 32-bit version works but I'm getting an error when releasing to Alpha stage. 

Error

This release is not compliant with the Google Play 64-bit requirement
The following APKs or App Bundles are available to 64-bit devices, but they only have 32-bit native code: 10000330.
Include 64-bit and 32-bit native code in your app. Use the Android App Bundle publishing format to automatically ensure that each device architecture receives only the native code it needs. This avoids increasing the overall size of your app. Learn More

I've tried using Android Studio to generate a signed APK bundle on the 64-bit version but receive an error "Generating signed bundle requires you to update the android gradle plugin to version 3.2.0 or higher."  I haven't been able to workaround this.

Any tips out there?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

John, 

That is bigger than normal, can you check the images that you use for the app? This is usually the cause of the huge increase of size when building the out of the box template. 

Erwin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

John, 

That is bigger than normal, can you check the images that you use for the app? This is usually the cause of the huge increase of size when building the out of the box template. 

Erwin

0 Kudos
JohnLivengood
New Contributor III

The background image is a little over 4 mb.  The app icon is 44 kb.  I also had an overlay image that's 500 kb.  Even if I reduce the background image, it would still be over 100 mb.  I can try however.  I removed all unused images from the project location as well.

0 Kudos
JohnLivengood
New Contributor III

There was a directory I didn't check that had unused png's.  All good now.