Silverlight Debugging problem (Step Into[F11] doesnt work).

03-07-2012 12:50 AM
SaurabhDasgupta
New Contributor II
Hi
   I have a strange problem going on. I am running a silverlight application where I have attached a break point to my code. when I run my application the break point is hit. but soon after if I try to debug it further more using step into (F11), the application terminiates and my web page closes down immediately. My Silverlight debugging option is checked under properties in the web project. i am using the following configuration

1. Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
2. Silverlight 4.0 SDK.
3. Silverlight 4 Developer Runtime.
4. Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual studio 2010.
5. Silverlight 4 Toolkit for Visual studio 2010 April 2010.

Let me know if anyone can help me out on this.

Regards,
Saurabh.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SaurabhDasgupta
New Contributor II
Can anybody atleast throw some light on it....I am totally getting lost on this....
I have tried reinstalling the whole of silverlight components..but all in vain.

Regards,
Saurabh.
0 Kudos
MuzammilAK
New Contributor
Dear Saurabh,

I have encountered the same issue when trying to debug SL app running in Google Chrome browser. This is happening when some runtime exception is occurring.

But when I use MS IE browser, I am able to continue debugging the app.

Regards
Muzammil
0 Kudos
SaurabhDasgupta
New Contributor II
In my case I am using MS IE browser and this cannot be changed.. Can u provide me with some atleast workaround.

Regards,
Saurabh.
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
I just hit this problem yesterday too.  I can use F10 (step over) and F11 (step through) in other projects, such as a C# console app that converts an XLS to a featureclass but not in my Silverlight project.

I know this is kind of beyond the scope of Esri, but any help would be appreciated.

Running Win7 64bit, VS 2010 (installing SP1 now), Silverlight API 2.3, debugging in IE9

Thanks, TG
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
The problem might be Silverlight Debugging is not enabled.
In order to Debug Silverlight application:

• in Solution Explorer, right click on your web application,

• select 'Properties',

• 'Web' tab,

• look at 'Debuggers',

• select 'Silverlight' checkbox

0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks for the suggestion Dominique.  I've checked and all debug options are turned on in the web project.  I've also tried various combinations of the debug options (tools -> options -> debug node) suggested on StackOverflow and other forums to no avail....

I installed SP1 and rebooted;
I ran devenv /ResetSettings from the command line
I've even tried pulling the last good version from MS SourceSafe from when I last touched the solution and still get the same behavior.

-update-
I reinstalled VS2010 and still see the same behavior.  Created a new SL project with no Esri references and get the same problem.  I pulled my mapping SL project from SourceSafe onto another machine (WinXP) and I can debug normally.  Something on my Win7 box has changed in the last month and is not allowing for SL debugging.

Any other ideas? 

Thanks, Terry
0 Kudos
JenniferNery
Esri Regular Contributor
You might also want to post your question to Microsoft forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsdebug/threads. They may be able to help or users in that forum may have experienced the same thing.
0 Kudos
SaurabhDasgupta
New Contributor II
You might also want to post your question to Microsoft forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsdebug/threads. They may be able to help or users in that forum may have experienced the same thing.

The problem still persists.. seems something might have been changed unknowingly for VS 2010.. which needs to be reconfigured... there are some posts in MSDN which says bout solving the issue by reinstalling VS, but in some cases the issue remains same even after reinstalling..
0 Kudos