Label Confusion

08-06-2012 08:51 AM
TanyaOwens
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

When I use a ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer sometimes the labels appear and other times they don't. It seems like when I publish a service from a mxd with several layers with labels the labels show up just fine, if the mxd has only one or two layers with labels the labels show up difficult to read or not at all. Any clue what is going on here?

I have read some posts that state that dynamic and feature layers don't support labels and that you need to have a custom symbol or graphics layer to show the labels. (Which confuses me more about why they seem to work sometimes). How do you go about setting this up and how do you add in label parameters such as label buffer and scales? Is there a link to show how this is done? Currently I am trying to get the labels to work on a feature layer.

FYI, I am using API 2.4 and silverlight 4.

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DaveTimmins
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

for a FeatureLayer (or GraphicsLayer) the labels will not show though you can create a custom symbol to show them or have them as part of a maptip, infowindow etc. For dynamic layers the labels will show as defined in the map document used to publish the service. This can include scale dependencies or label expressions so that could affect what shows up and when. That's the simple answer though labelling can get a lot more complex when authoring 🙂

Cheers,
0 Kudos
TanyaOwens
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Dave,

That is why I am confused...I expected a difference between Feature layer and dynamic map service layer but I have a dynamic map service layer that has two polyline layers for roads and three polygons areas, the roads are labeled - when I publish them together the labels come in just fine. When I publish just the polylines and bring them in as a dynamic map service layer the labels are all blurry and unreadable. I didn't change any settings when publishing, I just had removed the polygon layers and published the polylines by themselves. Any clue to what is going on there?

Thanks,

Tanya
0 Kudos
ChrisBradberry
Occasional Contributor
Hey,

Has anybody figured this out?  I have been trying to publish a stream layer with labels, and the labels are pixilated and have a halo while in Silverlight.  This does not happen when I look at the service in ArcMap.  The label properties in the mxd do not have halos, nor I am using maplex.

Any ideas?

Chris
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
Do you observe the same issue when you display the service in your browser?

Example of Url for showing a service in the browser: http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Reference/World_Transportation/MapServer?f=jsa...
0 Kudos
zhengniu1
New Contributor
Is there solution to this issue? Esri???

I am using the the aerial imagery from another server as the base map for my map service. It is normal to dislay the labels in feature layer but have halo behind all labels when overplapping with that imagery.

Any ideas of this?

Thanks
0 Kudos