Need develop some custom tools such as zoom in , out ...

06-09-2015 07:13 AM
LucianaArrúa
New Contributor III

I need to develop some custom tools on map..such as zoom in, zoom out, filters and many more.

I need to develop this in silverlight .

I don't know where to start from.

How to proceed?

Currently I have VS 2010

Need Help!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Have a look at the API page:

ArcGIS API for Silverlight | ArcGIS for Developers

It will give you a good start (Guide tab), including code samples (Samples tab).

I have to ask, though, is Silverlight an absolute, 110% requirement? Can you persuade the powers-to-be to use JavaScript?

You can integrate this well with ASP.NET (I use the framework and embed js maps on our pages). Silverlight is dead - browsers are even preventing the plug-in from loading, and, wont even allow workarounds in the near future (September, 2015, for Chrome).

I can't speak for Esri, but I imagine most of their efforts nowadays will be for JavaScript - you will also find a larger community for the JavaScript API (and for Dojo/jQuery/JavaScript in general) than for Silverlight.

LucianaArrúa
New Contributor III

Thanks Chris Smith for response!!!

The problem is that there is material on silverlight anywhere and there is very little that I need help to advance a project to an application ...
I need to add a toolbar with utilities like zoom, Identify, select, etc etc

I'm new to this programming asp.net silverlight etc etc and don't have idea for Javascript, but if you have any help about this, and will be very useful for me...

thanks!!

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Luciana,

ESRI will not support Silverlight and Flex anymore in the future. Everything is moving towards javascript.

Why not take a look at their new Web AppBuilder? Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Tim

LucianaArrúa
New Contributor III

upsss!!! and now ? Who change my aplicattion to javascript ?

I created a small, but still lack many things change as javascript and go from there ??

Thanksss
0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

You will be able to still use Silverlight but ESRI won't improve on it anymore. Isn't microsoft also stopping to improve silverlight?

0 Kudos
LucianaArrúa
New Contributor III

I have little idea about the future of Silverlight, so if it is more convenient to use javascript'll have to spend my application to that language does not?

My English is poor, I speak very little .... I need information about javascript for instance books, manuals etc etc

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to say this on the Silverlight forum! But, if you can, walk away from it and try not to look back. I liked Silverlight, I really did, but unless you need to support a legacy application, or a client/management will not budge on project requirements, you really should try and convert what you have to JavaScript.

Have a look at this:

ArcGIS API for JavaScript

If you need JavaScript help, try w3:

JavaScript Tutorial

Also, once you read through this, have a look at:

jQuery Tutorial

And this:

Dojo Tutorials - Dojo Toolkit

The ArcGIS JS API is supported by Dojo, so you should have an idea about it, but I threw jQuery in there as well since you should have an idea about this library, too.

And keep jsfiddle in mind, for prototyping:

Hello World Example - JSFiddle

Honestly, Silverlight should still be supported by Microsoft (security-wise), until 2021, I believe, but I wouldn't expect Esri to support it, and I would venture to say that before too long, IE will be the only way to run Silverlight.

LucianaArrúa
New Contributor III

Thanks for your input ...

but do not know where to start with javascript, which program is used to start programming ???

regards

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There are many development environments out there...and probably many discussions about them.  Personally, I use   Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design. .  It's free and pretty straight forward to use.

edit:  NotePad++ plus works too

edit #2: another great resource list:  Developing Web Apps with ArcGIS API for JavaScript / Building Applications Using the ArcGIS API for ...