publish(overwrite=true) Failing

03-12-2019 08:29 PM
AndrewAdamson
New Contributor II

Overwriting existing SD…
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 74, in <module>
fs = sdItem.publish(overwrite=True)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py", line 7185, in publish
serviceitem_id = self._check_publish_status(ret, folder)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py", line 7430, in _check_publish_status
raise Exception("Job failed.")
Exception: Job failed.

Can't seem to get past this error overwriting a SD on agol.  Using update() and publish(overwrite=true). Have read a few other posts but no resolutions - possibly rolling back to Pro 2.1.

Anyone have a clue on how to get past this or any alternatives to overwrite a SD on agol?

3 Replies
DavidReddecliffe1
New Contributor II

I have a script that is overwriting 2 different SD's and then publishing them. The 1st publish always succeeds the second alway fails with exactly the same exception as OP. The only difference between the 2 SD's is that the one that succeeds is soured from a FC in a GDB the one that fails is sourced from a .shp 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Check you don't have replicas present on the Feature Layers. If you do then they cause this exact error when trying to publish with overwrite=True. I'm not sure if the API explicitly checks for replicas as the job fails without a more meaningful error. The following thread might be of use How do I edit a feature layer's data when it has replicas .

0 Kudos
ScottLarsen
New Contributor

I had a script that was overwriting an SD and running fine. I didn't run the script for a while and created a layer view of the SD layer during this time. Tried to run the script and couldn't figure out why it was failing. I ended up deleting the layer view and the script runs fine again.