No Tricks, Just Treats with the New v1.7.0 Python API Release! 🎃

10-31-2019 11:48 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
4 10 4,448

Happy Halloween! The ArcGIS API for Python has just released its newest version, 1.7.0. View the release notes here to see what's new and what bugs have been fixed. Visit our landing page for all other information about the Python API.

You can install this newest version via conda:

conda install -c esri arcgis

or pip:

pip install arcgis

We can't wait to hear what you think of this release!

10 Comments
Subu_Swaminathan_GISP
New Contributor III

David,

I am trying to upgrade an existing clone env using

conda upgrade -c esri arcgis

I get the following message. What am i missing here?

# All requested packages already installed.
# packages in environment at xcxxsd\arcgispro-py3-clone:
#
arcgis                    1.6.2           py36h4f45381_633    esri

Subu_Swaminathan_GISP
New Contributor III

Follow Dan's instruction at  https://community.esri.com/thread/243171-how-to-upgrade-to-170  to get around this issue.

HiromuNAKAMURA
New Contributor II

Hi,

Do we need Enterprise 10.8 (prerelease) for some of the new functionalities of the API?

or 10.7.1 is enough for them?

Thanks,

TedChapin
Occasional Contributor III

Why is the update not listed in the Pro backstage Python Package Manager? Shouldn't we be able to select it under "Update Packages" and click the Update button?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hiromu,

The API should be compatible with 10.7.1 enterprise. You will not be able to use 10.8 functionality from the Python API, but most of the endpoints in the REST API are the same. Let us know if you're running into specific problems!

- David

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ted,

What version of Pro are you using? Pro's python environment normally "pins" packages to specific version ranges. For example, I believe Pro 2.4 pins the Python API to the 1.6.* series. Pro 2.5 should come with 1.7.0.

You can get around this on earlier versions of Pro by using a cloned environment, and using the "--no-pin" flag when running conda from the command prompt (i.e. "Python Command Prompt"). The command might look like this:

conda install -c esri arcgis --no-pin

Proceed at your own risk, sometimes updating packages outside of the recommended pins can cause instability! This is why you should use a cloned environment -- you can always delete the clone if things become unstable.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Of if an update goes bad, you can always rollback the clock

Restoring environment to a previous revision – Anaconda Knowledge Base 

TedChapin
Occasional Contributor III

I am at 2.4. I'll wait for the API that rolls with Pro.

HiromuNAKAMURA
New Contributor II

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply! I am very excited with a lot of new funtionalities!

RobertJones11
New Contributor II

In case it might help someone: I got an error when attempting this step of the offline install with the latest Anaconda and Python API releases:

Create a new environment, including python and six packages:
conda create -n <my_env_name> python six

The error I got was as follows:

Executing transaction: | b'\'"C:\\ProgramData\\Anaconda3\\envs\\testenv\\Scripts\\jupyter-nbextension.exe"\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\noperable program or batch file.\n\'"C:\\ProgramData\\Anaconda3\\envs\\testenv\\Scripts\\jupyter-nbextension.exe"\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\noperable program or batch file.\n'
/ b'Manually uninstall any prior version of arcgis widget using:\n\t"jupyter nbextension uninstall arcgis --user" and \n\t"jupyter nbextension uninstall arcgis"\n\'"C:\\ProgramData\\Anaconda3\\envs\\testenv\\Scripts\\jupyter-nbextension.exe"\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\noperable program or batch file.\n\'"C:\\ProgramData\\Anaconda3\\envs\\testenv\\Scripts\\jupyter-nbextension.exe"\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,\noperable program or batch file.\n'
done

I resolved this issue by including jupyter when creating the environment, i.e. I executed the following:

conda create -n <my_env_name> python six jupyter