Possible to preserve both extent and scale for print/export map.

03-13-2014 06:41 PM
Pankajroy
New Contributor
Hi All,

I am implementing customized printing using my own geoprocessing  service and python script. I need to preserve both scale and extent of the screen in print/export output. Is there any workaround to achieve this. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
Pankaj Roy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
If you need to preserve both scale and extent you will need to be able to manipulate the map size itself.  I dont believe you can do that with the current printwidget.

With that extreme a constraint (production grade print control) you will likely have to write your own print engine.
0 Kudos
Pankajroy
New Contributor
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Understand that it is difficult to achieve but a simulation by manipulating the map extent and scale should be possible. I have written my own python script for the conversion of webmap to map document and for export to PDF along with layer listing (using vector data for the possible layers in map template). Following are difficulties i am facing for the simulation being attempted.

1. How to calculate extent to be printed/exported in case i opt for preserving scale.
2. How to calculate the possible scale to be printed/exported in case the other option is choosen i.e preserve extent.

Is there any interface in arc object for this purpose. If i find answer to any one of these two queries, i believe my objective will be met.

Thanks,
Pankaj Roy
0 Kudos