MapView - Features Retrieved Regardless of minScale

06-23-2016 01:53 PM
NealFerguson
New Contributor II

In evaluating the level-of-effort for conversion to API 4.0, I've noted that 4.0 is retrieving all of my feature layers regardless of their minScale setting.  My initial map view is at the State level and I've configured most features to not show until you hit the County level, where conceptually the number of features is reduced several hundred (rather than tens-of-thousands).  Granted, ArcGIS Server will limit the number of features returned but this is definitely an observable difference between 3.1x and 4.0.  The former only hits to REST service, to get geometry, etc., when actually needed (the layer is going to be visible).  Some serious performance ramifications.

Is this possibly because of some mis-configuration or misunderstanding on my part, or something I missed with the 4.0 version of the API?  Or possibly an outright bug in the new API?

Any and all insights greating appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Neal - you're not doing anything wrong, it's a limitation of version 4.0 and will be improved in future 4.x versions.

NealFerguson
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response Bjorn,

That's a fairly severe limitation IMO.  I work with a lot of maps that rely heavily on scale dependency, clusters, etc. to achieve reasonable performance.  Hope this is on the radar for the near future!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
NealFerguson
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if this has been rectified in 4.1?

0 Kudos