Map Navigation (Pan/Zoom) not working in Chrome at API v3.4

03-26-2013 06:38 AM
SimonFisher
Occasional Contributor II
Is anyone else seeing that map navigation (pan, zoom in/out) is broken in Chrome at ArcGIS JS API v3.4? 

I have tried several samples and map navigation is not working at all in Chrome.  The same samples work fine in firefox and IE.  Samples using older version of the API (3.2, 3.3) navigation works fine in Chrome.  I have even taken a 3.4 sample and pointed it to 3.3 and navigation starts to work, so I believe this is a possible new bug.

I have the latest version of Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m

Simon
0 Kudos
22 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
this happened to us on arcgis.com today.  Switching to IE fixed it.

Did not clear cache
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
this happened to us on arcgis.com today.  Switching to IE fixed it.

Did not clear cache

Do you have any additional info? I'd really like to be able to reproduce this.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Do you have any additional info? I'd really like to be able to reproduce this.

in CHROME (V26)
www.arcgis.com
gallery
search for - manatee county parcels

choose Manatee County, FL - Parcel Map

open in arcgis.com map viewer

works from one computer, doesnt work from another

both windows 7 64bit, both chrome Version 26.0.1410.64 m

Rebooting and (aggressively) clearing cache does not fix non-working browser.
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I THINK I FOUND THE DIFFERENCE

The non-working computer is in a conference room hooked to a smart board.  Touch events on the board (pan, zoom) WORK!!! but mouse navigation does not

It looks like if the API detects a touch device it disables mouse events.  And chrome is incorrectly being identified as a mobile browser (happens alot).

Anyone else?
0 Kudos
TedLucas1
New Contributor
That is interesting, I have a DELL E6420 with a touch screen. 

JS API v3.4 - Everything seems to work ok on IE 9 & 10.  But when I try to use Chrome (v26\latest) & FF(v20\latest) pan\zoom doesn't work.

JS API v3.3 - IE Good, Chrome Good, FF broken.

If I roll back to JS API v3.1 the pan\zoom functionality appears to work in Firefox.
0 Kudos
Joachim_EckboJuell
New Contributor III
jeff.pace is dead on. I just opened a web site that checks for touch events ("ontouchstart" in window || false). On my laptop, which has problems with mouse-events in Chrome and Firefox, it opens the mobile version of the web site on these two browsers, but on IE it opens the regular web site. And the ArcGIS JS API mouse-events only works in IE for me.

My problem is probably that I have installed some Microsoft SDK (Surface or something) that sets my laptop as "touch supported".

I also have problems with mouse-events in some Dojo dijits (dropdown button, resizable content pane etc.), in the same browsers.

So I bet there is a check for "touch support" in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript (and dojo). And the solution is probably to also check for mouse-support, and allow for mouse-events.
0 Kudos
KerryRobinson
Esri Contributor
I think this is the same issue as reported with ArcGIS Online here

I have been experiencing this issue for quite some time. It finally makes sense... the browser is reporting that it is on a touchscreen device, so the app is only checking for touch events.  So the workaround would just be to use the touch screen to pan/navigate (assuming you have one) or IE/Safari.

JavaScript API team... is this something you're able to fix in the API or is this an inherent issue with Chrome and Firefox?
0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Thanks to all for the additional info. Sounds like we have a good idea why this is happening.

JavaScript API team... is this something you're able to fix in the API or is this an inherent issue with Chrome and Firefox?

We think this is something we can address in the API based on differences in mouse and touch events but it won't be for the next release (due in a week or two).
0 Kudos
AamirSuleman
New Contributor II
The new 3.5 API will probably move from mouse/touch events to dojox/gestures
0 Kudos
StewartMcCall
New Contributor
Experiencing the same thing with Chrome on a couple of machines at v3.4 - not every machine has this issue.

Found some sample code on the dojo site and incorporated it in my code. 

Chrome (v26) returns "You have a touch capable device and so I loaded dojo/touch".  Pan and zoom doesn't work...

IE10 and Safari correctly return "You do not have a touch capable device and so I loaded dojo/mouse".  Everything works as I would expect...

Mapping in arcgis.com doesn't work in Chrome either, no zoom or pan.
0 Kudos