Java Script vs Silverlight vs Flex

Jump to solution
10-10-2013 08:15 AM
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
I am looking to create a few web apps but must also be cognizant of the fact that my users will be using a varying degree of hardware (ie. tablets, phones, PCs etc).  With that being said it pretty much rules out using Silverlight.

But what about Flex and Java Script...I assume this will run fine in a mobile environment? 
Is there an HTML API coming?

If I am concerned with PC and Mobile devices whats my best option?  Is there something on the horizon that I should wait for?

I want to be ready for the changes that are coming, and realize that we are moving towards a mobile platform.  Wanting to make sure that the time and resources invested are going to be able to be utilized in the next few years...looking to get off to a good start and work with a technology that will be around

Thanks....hope to get some good feedback....cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanUihlein
Esri Regular Contributor
The Javascript API is what you are looking for.

Javascript generally works in any (modern) browser on any device.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
ManishkumarPatel
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Jay,

If you consider the mobile environment for the application then even Flex application might face issues to run on an apple device. So I think Javascript would be a better option until ESRI comes with some cross-platform compatible API that can be utilised on any device.

Regards,
Manish
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
So I would be alright to start dev in Javascript and should be alright on IOS, Android and PC?
Any other thoughts, comments, pitfalls?
Thanks
0 Kudos
JonathanUihlein
Esri Regular Contributor
The Javascript API is what you are looking for.

Javascript generally works in any (modern) browser on any device.
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the info.....diving in head first.....
Cheers
0 Kudos
JonathanUihlein
Esri Regular Contributor
Good luck Jay!
If you have any additional questions, comments or concerns, feel free to bring them up in a new thread or private message. We'll help as best we can.
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III
...until ESRI comes with some cross-platform compatible API that can be utilised on any device

This may be the ArcGIS RunTime, which was mentioned at the UC this year. I haven't used it yet, but the promise is that it will allow the same app to run on any supported device. I'm not sure whether it's actually released yet or is still in beta.

In the meanwhile, the JS API is your best option to ensure your app can run on any advice.

In terms of designing the user interface, you should look at responsive web design, to allow your application to resize dynamically for any device and orientation.
0 Kudos
SunilPalkar
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jay

We are using JSAPI at our end. It works well for all OS.

-Its lightweight than FLEX. 
-We customized layout which has responsive design.
-Only thing look and feel (if you compare with Flex)
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Agreed on Javascript.

Flex ruled and by security and being dropped on mobile anyway
Silverlight was a non-started.

The whole web is migrating to JS/HTML5.  I get calls (frequently) that start with

"we our migrating our app from <flex/silverlight> to javascript and... "

Just glad I got ahead of the curve.
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I developed in Flex for a few years before the writing on the wall made me switch to Javascript.  I never looked at Silverlight because in the ESRI community it always seemed to be in 3rd place among the 3 APIs offered.   The only scenario I might go back to FLEX/Flash is for the development of a mobile app, which is supposedly possible, although I've never tried it.  Although I have created a mobile friendly web page that works just fine on a phone, I continue to hear "But we want an app, not a web page".
0 Kudos