Google Chrome Screen blanking issue

Jump to solution
01-21-2014 01:20 PM
JeffreySchmidt
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I have a map app built on api v3.8 and I have noticed that when using chrome/opera the screen flickers when zooming in and out of a map.  I have a dojo layout with a header/footer/left/center/right panes... and what occurs is the map will populate tiles, blank out for a second, the other content panes blank and then back to normal.  Not an issue with firefox, ie, even safari.  A good amount of data gets accessed during these moves and it only seems to occur when the map is nearly maximized.  It may be a dojo issue, it may be a arcgis api issue, but it didnt seem to occur until a recent chrome update... 32.0.1700.76 m is my current... anyways thought it would be worth it to see if anyone else has seen this...  I'll admit my coding style is still 'legacy'... so maybe there is something there... either way... thanks for looking...

Jeff
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JosephVrabel
New Contributor II
I was able to solve the problem by setting navigationMode:'classic' (and NOT using 'css-transforms')
when creating the map (map = new Map...).

Before doing this the problem was very bad - not just flickering, but 80% of the page randomly blanked out to the
page background color.
Now works fine and I don't notice a difference in pan-zoom behavior when 'classic' is used.
Work fine on on Safari (at least v5.1.7).

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JosephVrabel
New Contributor II
I am having the exact problem you describe.
Problem started with Chrome Version 32.0.1700.76 m as you mention.
I recently upgraded to Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102 m, but problematic behavior is the same.

Problem exists and is identical in our applications using the older ESRI JSAPI v2.8 as well as the newer v3.7.
The 3.7 version we have uses pure AMD and no legacy constructs (to my knowledge).

Didn't realize this is also an issue in Opera, which is bad news.
But hopefully it is the same problem and resolution in Chrome will solve both.

I do not have a solution yet, but I suspect it has to do with the page layout and/or CSS.
Our app has a feature where you can popup a new browser tab with just the map as a print-friendly version.
This map works perfectly fine (you can pan and zoom it) even though it has embedded JS to create it exactly as the main mapper interface page does.
So I'm guessing there in something about the html / css styling of the mapper interface page that Chrome is choking on ?

If anyone has also run into this issue and found a solution, please pass it along!
Thanks!
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III
Are you using Windows XP (still) by any chance?

WE've had exactly this (well it sounds like it) flashing black screen when over various panels.

It turns out to be graphics card related with XP - to fix it we turned down the Graphic Hardware Acceleration - we found two notches down from the lowest worked fine.

Credit here to Martin on our internal help desk, who had seem similar issues with other applications.

Not an issue with Windows 7 (afaik)

ACM
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
It it does not happen with firefox or IE then it is chrome.  Chrome is more streamlined to run faster and it may not be allowing certain scripts or tools to load in it's environment.

WE've had exactly this (well it sounds like it) flashing black screen when over various panels.

It turns out to be graphics card related with XP - to fix it we turned down the Graphic Hardware Acceleration - we found two notches down from the lowest worked fine.

Credit here to Martin on our internal help desk, who had seem similar issues with other applications.

ACM
0 Kudos
JosephVrabel
New Contributor II
Problem for me is occurring under Windows 7 (SP1).
If the problem is graphics card related, would that mean users would
need to adjust their computer settings to view the site for new versions of Chrome?
Hopefully another workaround exists...

ACM
0 Kudos
JeffreySchmidt
New Contributor II
I rebuilt my app to utilize the 'amd' coding syntax and I am still seeing the same issue with both Chrome and Opera.  I want to say I notice it more often when I am zooming out a few levels at a time... ex. going from level 16 to 13...
0 Kudos
PhilReese1
New Contributor
I'll add my voice to the chorus as well - I just discovered this issue.  Happens in the newest version of Chrome on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  Firefox and IE work fine. 

I've traced the issue to the basemap I'm using for my application.  The map service I'm using only covers a relatively small area.  The flickering occurs when the basemap image tiles extend underneath of DOM elements on the page, whether those elements are within the map div or not.  The zoom simpleslider increment/decrement buttons are a good example: if I use them to zoom in and out while there are tiles directly underneath of the buttons, the page will flash.  If I drag the basemap out of the way so that the zoom buttons are no longer over top of image tiles from the map service, the page doesn't flash.

This also happens for bootstrap elements that are outside of the map div - if I drag the basemap so that image tiles extend beyond the border of the map div and underneath of those bootstrap elements (a bootstrap-select selectpicker, for example), when I click on those selectpickers, the page will flash.  If I drag the basemap so that there aren't any image tiles under the bootstrap elements, the page will not flash when clicking those elements.
0 Kudos
JosephVrabel
New Contributor II
I was able to solve the problem by setting navigationMode:'classic' (and NOT using 'css-transforms')

Before doing this the problem was very bad - not just flickering, but 80% of the page randomly blanked out to the
page background color.
Now works fine and I don't notice a difference in pan-zoom behavior when 'classic' is used.
PhilReese1
New Contributor

page background color.

I can confirm that this resolves my issue as well.
0 Kudos
JeffreySchmidt
New Contributor II
Thanks USGSjvrabel!  I set the navigationMode property to 'classic' and it seems to have resolved the issue.  🙂

- Jeff
0 Kudos