fully movable popup/floating pane

01-09-2015 06:06 AM
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

I think the answer is no to this one, but someone may have a clever fix

In my old ArcIMS application, the results of a ID task were pushed to a new html page in a popup, and therefore it could be moved outside of the parent browser - so when there were a lot of results it could be moved to a second monitor without covering the map.

In my API replacement I use a customized floating pane to show this info so is limited to the parent window.

As this pane has extra controls like a flash and highlight feature I can't even generate html from the ID results and push it to a new html page as the references to the objects within the map would not be kept.

So, any clever ideas people?

Cheers

ACM

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

Communication between a parent and a popup window and vice versa to interact with the map is very doable. You can see an example of it in my Street View Widget for WAB.

Google Street View Widget 1.1

HaroldBostic
Occasional Contributor II

You may want to consider leveraging this API if you can.  May be the same concept Robert posted, I have not checked out his link

HTML5 window.postMessage

AdrianMarsden

Thanks for that - I just tried the API demo, and it went splut - didn't work at all 😞

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

Yep it did not work for me either. I just uses simple parent child window communication in my widget.

AdrianMarsden

Do you use jquery for this?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nope this is simple HTML stuff that does not require any library (the window communication part).

AdrianMarsden

OK - I'll research - not something I've done before - many thanks

0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden

gosh, so simple "window.opener" - I never knew.  Or if I did I'd forgotten

0 Kudos