Extremely Poor Performance Using the JavaScript API and a WebMap

11-22-2017 08:06 AM
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

We have developed a web site that is using the ArcGIS JavaScript 4.3 API and we're noticing some extremely poor performance with the map drawing while using a WebMap loaded with a portal item ID. The map has 1 layer in it with about 900,000 point features. The visibility of the layer is set to Neighborhood so it does not come on until a pretty low zoom level.

It is very common to zoom into a small area of the map on our site and never see the features drawn (the base map is drawn), or to only see a handful of the features when we know there are a lot more in that area. I've even done some tests with the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Sandbox by loading the a WebMap with the same portal item's ID and I see the same issues with performance - I can zoom into an area where I know the features should be drawn and I never see any - never. In contrast, when we log into our ArcGIS Online Portal and open the same web map it seems to draw very quickly. 

So it seems to be a problem with the JavaScript API.

We've tried it on a number of different computers, with different browsers, in different locations on different networks and the same performance issues are seen.

What can we do about this issue? Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there some trick to use to get good performance using the JavaScript API WebMap?

Thanks in advance,

Mike...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Andy,

I'm really confused.

If I log into our ArcGIS Online Portal (name.maps.arcgis.com) and view the same map using the built in map viewer it works great. It responds very quickly. I see the same requests on the network tab and they complete in about 400ms. If I use the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Sandbox, plug in my portal item ID for the same map that I'm viewing in the Online Portal I have problems.

In fact I can have two tabs of my browser open - one to our ArcGIS Online Portal map (name.maps.arcgis.com) and the other to the ArcGIS API for JavaScript Sandbox (developer.arcgis.com) and the maps perform very differently. The Online map works great and the Sandbox map doesn't. I zoom around and pan to the same places on both maps in the different tabs at the same time and I see completely different results.

I see the same problems with our web site hosted elsewhere - just like the Sandbox page; very poor performance.

Mike...

0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike, can you go ahead and open a support ticket?

MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Andy,

Thank you. I'll do that this morning.

mike...

0 Kudos
MarcoDiazgranados
New Contributor

Hi Michael, we are suffering the same symptoms can you please explain us if you find a solution about the performance for ArcGIS API for JavaScript?

Thanks.

Marco

0 Kudos
MichaelHamsa
Occasional Contributor

Marco,

To resolve this problem we ended up upgrading from version 4.3 to version 4.5 of the JavaScript API – this seems to have resolved our performance problems. After looking through the release notes, it looked like version 4.4 had some performance improvements in it so going to version 4.5 was the best move. This seems to have resolved our issues. I believe that version 4.6 is out now.

What version are you currently running?

Mike Hamsa

Chief Technology Officer - GeoSpatial Innovations, Inc.

P: 512-982-6735