Error creating API key

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 12:20 AM
GlenShennan
New Contributor III

Hi all,

First post in Developers, only just trying to get going with this.

I'm trying to create my first API key on the Developers dashboard. Every time I try it just throws a popup with "An error occurred", and that's it. No way to find out what the error is. I'm using Chrome on Windows. There's only 1 Google result with the same error and the post has been deleted.

Any idea what's happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurenBoyd
Esri Contributor

Hi @GlenShennan -

Are you getting any error messages when you check the console in the Developer Tools?

Are you signing into the developer site with your ArcGIS Online organization credentials?

Thanks,

Lauren

Lauren

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LaurenBoyd
Esri Contributor

Hi @GlenShennan -

Are you getting any error messages when you check the console in the Developer Tools?

Are you signing into the developer site with your ArcGIS Online organization credentials?

Thanks,

Lauren

Lauren
GlenShennan
New Contributor III

Signing in with the ArcGIS organisational account did it. It seems obvious but there's no indication (as far as I could see) that the organsiational account was required. The site just said to create an account (which I did with my personal account 'cause I'm just playing around atm) and then create the key.

Anyway, thanks muchly for the help!

0 Kudos
LaurenBoyd
Esri Contributor

@GlenShennan - An organizational account isn't necessary, however, Community, Trial, Evaluation, and Personal use subscriptions are not allowed to create API keys. If you were signing in using one of those account types, you would receive an error. The user experience for these subscription types will be enhanced in a later update to the site. 

To get around this, you would need to create a new free developer account: https://developers.arcgis.com/sign-up/ or sign in to an organization account. 

Glad you were able to get around the issue! 

Lauren
0 Kudos
TorbenJorgensen
New Contributor

I am having the same problem

Snip of console 

apikey error.PNG

LaurenBoyd
Esri Contributor

Hi @TorbenJorgensen -

If you're using a Community, Trial, Evaluation, and Personal use subscription to sign in to the developer site, you will receive this error since you cannot create API keys with this type of account. The user experience for these subscription types will be enhanced in a later update to the site. 

To get around this, you will need to create a new free developer account: https://developers.arcgis.com/sign-up/ or sign in to an organization account that is not one of the subscription types listed above. Hope this helps!

Lauren
0 Kudos
ÉricGosselin
Esri Contributor

Hi Lauren,

Is it still in future plans to offer api keys for personal use subscription?

If yes, any ETA?

Thank

Eric

francispolignano_personal
New Contributor

Also curious about plans to offer api keys with personal use subscription. Seems confusing to have to create 2 separate accounts. 

0 Kudos