Drawing graphics in 3d scene over 180th meridian

Jump to solution
10-03-2019 03:18 PM
MichaelDenholtz
New Contributor II

I'm using the SketchViewModel to draw regions on a 3d scene. I'm not able to draw anything that crosses the 180th meridian. I've noticed the same issue with the pre-built Sketch widget. Is this a hard limitation of drawing graphics on a globe or is there some property I'm missing or workaround?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

We've fixed the issue for the December release Michael. If you want to, you can already try it out with the latest build: Sketch over dateline example. Let us know if you find any issues in the feedback repo.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately this is a bug in the API and we don't have a workaround at the moment. We have an issue open for it and we'll look into it. Sorry about the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
MichaelDenholtz
New Contributor II

I've noticed the measurement widget is able to draw lines over the 180th meridian, but I haven't been able to identify why that's the case. Is that behavior something that I can duplicate somehow when adding graphics to a graphics layer?

0 Kudos
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

We've fixed the issue for the December release Michael. If you want to, you can already try it out with the latest build: Sketch over dateline example. Let us know if you find any issues in the feedback repo.

MichaelDenholtz
New Contributor II

Great! Thank you for the update.

0 Kudos
MichaelDenholtz
New Contributor II

This seems to be working beautifully. I'm using esri-loader. What happens to 'next' when this version is released in December? Is there a good way to cleanly transition from next to the official release version?

0 Kudos
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

Happy to hear that it works!

next is the current development build and it is meant to be used to try out new features and see that they work for your use case. For production ready apps only use the official release version. Once we release in december, next will be the development build reflecting the 4.15 release...

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

0 Kudos
MichaelDenholtz
New Contributor II

Unfortunately the central meridian related graphics fixes are critical to features that absolutely have to be live in my application for a conference the week of December 9th. I work with oceanographic data with a focus on the pacific ocean, so not being able to operate around the central meridian is difficult. Is their any estimated date for the December release?

0 Kudos
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Online release is estimated for December 10th, but API official release (final version with patches, documentation site, plugins, typings and other resources) is December 19th.

0 Kudos
MichaelDenholtz
New Contributor II

Thanks for the information. I ask the following with full acknowledgement and understanding that 'next' is not considered stable and is intended for testing use only and NOT for production:

Will an esri-loader using version: 'next' fail at some point around release time? By fail I mean will the 'next' at any point resolve to a non-existent build or incomplete build?

0 Kudos