Custom Print Service fails to apply expected symbology and labels

Jump to solution
09-17-2020 07:52 AM
PaulMcCord
Occasional Contributor

I have created and published a custom Geoprocessing Print service following the steps outlined in this post: https://community.esri.com/thread/179089 .

We were initially using the default print widget, but due to authentication issues that caused the print service to fail to load, we created the custom print service with embedded credentials. 

The print service is being used in an application that was built using the ArcGIS API for JS 4.16. The print service loads to the application, so our first issue has been successfully resolved:

Interface showing the print service

However, now there's unwanted symbology when the print service executes and the labels are not displaying.

For example, in the below screen shot, there are parcels on the map with purple outlines and no fill. There's also labels for parcel IDs in yellow:

Parcels shown with no fill; parcel IDs also on the map

When I run the print widget to print this same location, I get the following result:

Is there a reason why the fill is blue? Also, looking at the outlines of the polygons, they don't look purple, so I don't think any of the symbology that appears on the map in my second screenshot is in the print result. Also, the parcel ID labels are no longer present in the print result.

Could this be an issue with using the JS API, or is it related to the process that I followed when publishing the custom print service?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Is that possible for you to try publishing from ArcGIS Pro?

Print service published from ArcMap had a lot of issues with legends etc. especially when color has transparencies. That is another think you can do, instead of making the fill color 100% transparent, choose a null color or the 'outline only' fill symbol.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

did you publish your print service from arcmap or arcgis pro?

0 Kudos
PaulMcCord
Occasional Contributor

I published it from arcmap.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Is that possible for you to try publishing from ArcGIS Pro?

Print service published from ArcMap had a lot of issues with legends etc. especially when color has transparencies. That is another think you can do, instead of making the fill color 100% transparent, choose a null color or the 'outline only' fill symbol.

PaulMcCord
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Tanu,

That fixed it! I published the printing service from Pro following these steps: Share custom layouts for printing from ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterpris... 

The polygons now render correctly in the print output and the labels are also present.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Yay! glad it was an easy fix

Due to its dependencies on age old technology, print services published from ArcMap suffer a lot of issues. We recommend everyone to publish print services from ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos