Basic Viewer Print Widget in IE

12-17-2014 10:31 AM
PaulHoeffler
New Contributor II

The print widget on the basic viewer produces output most of the time on Firefox and Chrome, but on IE the button does nothing and looking in the logs the following error is registered:

Error: esri.config.defaults.io.proxyUrl is not set. If making a request to a CORS enabled server, please push the domain into esri.config.defaults.io.corsEnabledServers.

I'm not using a proxy server and the print service that I'm using is on the same domain as the viewer.

Any thoughts on how to avoid the error and get the print widget working?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

0 Kudos
28 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

kelly & paul,

Unlike 3D scene (requiring IE 11 or any WebGL-enabled browser like Chrome), the Print widget (not working with IE9) is certainly a bug. Personally,  configuring the proxy or not should not be a cause for IE 9 not working (but IE 11 working).

+++++++++++

In fact, in most of the organizations,  Chrome is not allowed (because of the security issues), and IE 9/10 is still a standard web browser...

0 Kudos
PaulHoeffler
New Contributor II

I should have CORS support enabled on the server today and will report back on how it affects the issues in the browsers.

Currently I'm facing a more serious issue that the viewer does not fully load when one of the map layers is broken. I haven't been able to update the viewer code to the latest release yet, and don't know if it had any major changes that might address that. I noticed that a bit ago the API went from 3.11 to 3.12 and might try that first.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Paul,

The Basic Viewer doesn't have logic included to handle invalid layers. If the map contains invalid layers it won't load even in the most current version of the template.

0 Kudos
PaulHoeffler
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly, does a property such as loaded or loadError exist for operationalLayers or a subset thereof? I'm not that familiar with the JS API and trying to add such logic, if possible, to keep invalid layers from the layers array within the _addLayers function. I realize this may not be possible. Thanks!

0 Kudos
larryzhang

paul,

What is your version of IE? Personally, Print may have bugs with IE 9.

Within my organization, the Print widget is not working in IE 9, but fine in IE 11.

Pls contact ESRI via the remedy for investigation.

0 Kudos
PaulHoeffler
New Contributor II

Larry,

Thank you for your response, it is IE 9. Unfortunately most of the machines within our organization are running IE 9, if someone is going to be using IE. Hopefully most are using Chrome, which is the other option here.

0 Kudos
larryzhang

paul,

Ask ESRI via the remedy so that they log ...

The Print widget (not working with IE9) should have a bug, personally.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Larry

I've done some testing with the print widget in IE9 and in my testing it works fine. There may be an issue in some scenarios that need to be resolved but we'd need more details on your particular situation.   For example do you have a proxy setup and have you verified that the proxy is working?

0 Kudos
larryzhang

Thx, Kelly

The proxy setting in IE 9 is set up and controlled by the corporate Internet security personnel (not by workstation users). The proxy server is running fine.

Kelly,

Do you think it would be fine for IE 9 (Print widget), if we request IT to remove the restriction on ArcGIS Online from the company proxy server? If so, what kind of specific justifications (related to the Print widget from Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online) should be provided to Internet security to take actions?

+++++++++++

It looks that: when the same proxy is applied onto IE 11, the Print widget works; but not works for IE 9…

Do anyone else have same scenario?

0 Kudos
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor

To be clear on the cross-domain issues, see Same-origin policy for more information about same origin policy (i.e. a request from a page on web.mycompany.com to gis.mycompany.com is considered cross-domain).

0 Kudos