AreaMeasurement2D

Jump to solution
01-10-2019 05:50 AM
AbdelrahmanAbdelrazek
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm using esri js api v 4.10. and when i use the area measurement widget ( AreaMeasurement2D ) the result is not correct in Auto mode (planar mode as i measure features have perimeter less than 100 km) but when i switch the mode  to geodesic the area is semi accurate. 

Pls find attached files.

The real area for this polygon is (479.304 Arces).

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Abdelrahman Abdelrazek, the geodesic mode is the more appropriate (accurate) mode in this scenario. From our doc: 

"When using input geometries with a spatial reference of either WGS84 (wkid: 4326) or Web Mercator, it is best practice to calculate areas using geodesicArea()."

geometryEngine | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.10 

We will be updating the behaviors of the 2D measurement widgets in the upcoming release to make this less confusing. Hope this helps.

-Noah

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Abdelrahman Abdelrazek, the geodesic mode is the more appropriate (accurate) mode in this scenario. From our doc: 

"When using input geometries with a spatial reference of either WGS84 (wkid: 4326) or Web Mercator, it is best practice to calculate areas using geodesicArea()."

geometryEngine | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.10 

We will be updating the behaviors of the 2D measurement widgets in the upcoming release to make this less confusing. Hope this helps.

-Noah

AbdelrahmanAbdelrazek
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for this clarification.

Noah Sager

0 Kudos