ArcGis Javascript - Editing attributes without loading the features to map

06-22-2016 08:42 PM
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Dear All,

I would like to ask, how can I edit the values of features' attribute table without loading the features to map first. I usually use the "applyEdits" function to modify the features, but that means I need to load the features (the graphics is rendered) on the map.

The situation is that, I need to updates attribute table of certain features daily. I update the value of the attribute table according from a certain SQL Server table. So far I open the Update webpage manually. And I am planning to use the Windows' Task Scheduler to run a simple task daily, which is to open the Update webpage I created (and that webpage automatically run the process).

But the problem is that the Task Scheduler opens the browser (ex: Internet Explorer) in background. Well, the process runs, but in background. There is no interface showing up, no browser is showing up, that means no map is showing up, means no graphic is rendered, means no feature is loaded, means I cannot run the "applyEdits" function.

Has anyone ever experience this problem too? Do you have any suggestion of any methods to use? Would be grateful to receive any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Juan,

This type of update to features is more suited for ArcPy and batch routines. I run updates like this every day using task scheduler that fires off a *.py file using the command line in a batch file. I have next to zero python programming skill. I just open Model Builder and get what I want working in model builder and then use the export to python script and then build my batch file to run the python script.

juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply. ArcPy + batch file, what a great idea. Never thought about that before. I also don't have programming skill in Phyton but this is something that I might look at.

However, before I read your message, I already tried another solution and solved this problem. Usually I also do programming in VB and C#, also some ArcMap Add-in programming. But this time I tried something new. I solved this problem by creating an EXE file, a stand alone console application development with ArcObject SDK for .NET framework. Either batch files or .exe files will work well with Windows Task Scheduler.

Thank you again for your information, Robert.

Well, the solution I made was somehow outside of using Javascript. However, if someone knows how to do it with Javascript, I will be happy to hear it. Cheers.

0 Kudos