Will featureLayer be available with 3D API? - Beta 4.0

Jump to solution
08-28-2015 07:45 AM
NeerajSingh
New Contributor II

If not, how would I display a feature Layer with 3D API? Do I have to create a scene layer? Or would I query the feature layer rest endpoint and plot them using x and y.

Thanks

Neeraj

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

FeatureLayers work in 3D right now, but they just don't have the query functions built in yet.

JS Bin - Collaborative JavaScript Debugging

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

FeatureLayers work in 3D right now, but they just don't have the query functions built in yet.

JS Bin - Collaborative JavaScript Debugging

nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

how would I display a feature Layer with 3D API? Do I have to create a scene layer?

This response is just building off the other two. Yes, you can display a FeatureLayer in the 3D view (SceneView); and no, you do not have to create a SceneLayer to view features in the view.

The question of how to display a FeatureLayer in 3D is up to you. As you can see from Rene Rubalcava​'s sample, you can use the default rendering of the layer (in this case, I believe SimpleFillSymbols for polygons). "2D" symbols may be draped on top of the basemap. But, as you can probably tell, in beta 1 it behaves kind of weird and flashy.

As you can see from Domenico Ciavarella​'s sample, he takes advantage of symbols that behave better in 3D.

I would suggest you play around with the symbols from Symbol3D and its subclasses: Symbol3D | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript Ultimately, it depends on the story you want to tell with your app, but taking advantage of the 3D symbology is a pretty safe way to go when visualizing FeatureLayers in 3D. Take a look at this sample: Extrude polygon by visual variables | ArcGIS API for JavaScript which uses an ExtrudeSymbol3DLayer to extrude polygon features from a featureLayer in 3D. Obviously, this isn't the best visualization technique in all use cases, but it's worth exploring as we release future betas of the API.

In short, yes, you can absolutely display FeatureLayers in a SceneView, and there are many ways you can do it. The best way depends on your data and your message.

0 Kudos
NeerajSingh
New Contributor II

Thank you all for your answers. Again your prompt replies are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos