Why does ArcGIS Server geocode service output wrong SRS when f=kmz?

07-29-2014 11:03 AM
MichaelSmith1
New Contributor III

We use the ArcGIS Server geocoding service in vMaine to get locations for addresses entered in Google Earth Enterprise.  This worked fine in the 10.1 days.  However what happens now is that, despite specifying the outputSRS, it returns the coordinates in UTM when you specify KMZ.  For example, this request will return the correct lat/long:

http://arcgisserver.maine.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NG911_Rds_Locator/GeocodeServer/findAddressCandid...

which should be -69.77233, 44.22248 and is my house in Gardiner.  The HTML gives the correct lat/long (also if I do JSON that works too).  Yet if I specify the output to KMZ, like this:

http://arcgisserver.maine.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NG911_Rds_Locator/GeocodeServer/findAddressCandid...

and I open the KML file in Google Earth, it takes me to 0,0 lat/long (Atlantic Ocean south of Ghana).  If I look at it in a text editor, I see this:

<tr><td>Score</td><td>100</td></tr>

<tr><td>Match_addr</td><td>100 Lincoln Ave, Gardiner, ME</td></tr>

<Point>

<coordinates>438310.9883381335,4896873.130619503,0</coordinates>

</Point>

which you can see the coordinates are clearly UTM, not lat/long and hence the reason Google Earth can’t deal with it correctly.

So ArcGIS Server is correctly geocoding the address, it correctly outputs the lat/long to HTML, but if that ‘f’ parameter is changed to KMZ it provides the UTM instead.

Do you have any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelSmith1
New Contributor III

Oh - and that is ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 we are on now...

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

This seems like a bug as I was able to reproduce your this on your server. Have you contacted Tech Support yet?

0 Kudos
MichaelSmith1
New Contributor III

Yes I have logged a ticket with Esri tech support today, no feedback from them yet. Thanks for checking it out. I think it is a bug. Looks like f=kmz just ignores the outSR parameter and gives you the native coordinates (UTM) in my case. I may have to use a lat/long projected dataset instead as a workaround.

===============================

Michael Smith MS GISP

State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS

State of Maine, Office of Information Technology

michael.smith at maine.gov 207-215-5530

Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary

Education Chair, Maine GIS Users Group

State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council

State House Station 145

51 Commerce Drive

Augusta, ME 04333-0145

69o 47' 58.9"W 44o 21' 54.8"N